Browsing: Preserving Bread for Display

Need Help with Bread Loaf Centerpieces

Help!

I am new to this site I hope that I have posted this in the correct place if not please send to the correct site. After looking for days and hours I have finally found a place where I can get help.

We are having a family reunion. I want to bake homemade bread like my mom use to do. I want to use them as centerpieces for the tables at our family reunion. My mom used to bake 8 loafs every other day. I come from a very large family (16 brothers and sisters ). Both of our parents have passed away and I thought it would be a gentle reminder of how hard our mom worked every day us. I have twenty loafs to make. Here are my questions:

Questions :

1) What type of varnish should I use to protect the bread?

2) Can I spray them with Krylon matte finish. Will the matte finish be ok, as I don't want them too shiny?

3) How many coats of varnish?

4) How long will this bread last after being varnished or sprayed?
How long do you think it will take to dry the bread? Can I put them in a bright place for them to dry without worrying about them getting moldy?

Please answer as soon as possible, I'm running out of time.

Thank You so much for all your help!

Char from SC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Here is a link that does a similar thing with rolls:

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa111198.htm

Another idea rather than varnishing the bread would be to make it ahead and freeze the loaves until they are needed. That way each table could take home a loaf of fresh bread and it would be edible. You could buy some cheap plastic platters and arrange the bread in the middle with fresh parsley, fruits and vegetables around them.

I've never done this but as far as varnishing goes, you will want to dry the bread as much as possible by leaving it in a warm (150-200 degrees F) oven until it is very hard. Then spray with varnish or paint with shellac. The dryer it is, the longer it will last.

Sounds like a neat idea for your reunion. Best of Luck with this.

Susan

Hi Char, I hope you come back to this site and see my post. I want to varnish a loaf of fresh baked bread to use as a decoration and came here and saw your post. I was wondering if you were successful in your attempt.

I would like mine to last a very long time since it would be part of a decoration I plan to sell.

I was getting no where till I came here and say your post. Sorta funny that someone else wanted to do varnished bread also, I'm sure that doesn't happen often. If I don't get any feedback then I guess I will just have to give it a try and see how it turns out. I read Susan's post and will follow her directions on drying out the bread real good first.

Hope your reunion was a success.

Kind Regards,

Bernice

I see someone else has felt the need to preserve a loaf of bread by varnishing it. I was sure I was the only one. If anyone can give some advice it would mean a lot because the bread is a keepsake.

Did you find out how to preserve bread if so please share! Thanks

I need bread every year for a live nativity and so I've decided to buy or make a few loaves every year, dry & varnish them so eventually I'll have tons. I have been letting the ones I bought for the 2007 nativity dry for a few weeks now. Getting ready to buy varnish and try it out. Did anyone have a non-shiny varnish to reccomend that would work well?

Preserving Bread for Display
Preserving Bread for Display
Crafts MiscellaneousApril 29, 2004
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
bread loaf in a bread machine pan
Keeping Bread From Sticking in a Bread Machine
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 6:19:21 PM on 10.0.0.254 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.