Preserving Bread for Display

You can make a display or a cute gift from a loaf of bread. This is a guide about preserving bread for display.

If you should want to harden a donut, it should be a cake donut (no icing.) Put into a preheated oven on a cookie sheet, at 200* for 5 hours. Let cool and decorate with craft paint and glued on google eyes, etc. Paint again with craft paint and varnish. You could glue a magnet to the backside, and place on front of refrigerator. Donut will be rock hard.

Source: craft group, years ago. I did one.

By flor2007 from Valdosta, GA

Help!

I am new to this site I hope that I have posted this in the correct place if not please send to the correct site. After looking for days and hours I have finally found a place where I can get help.

We are having a family reunion. I want to bake homemade bread like my mom use to do. I want to use them as centerpieces for the tables at our family reunion. My mom used to bake 8 loafs every other day. I come from a very large family (16 brothers and sisters ). Both of our parents have passed away and I thought it would be a gentle reminder of how hard our mom worked every day us. I have twenty loafs to make. Here are my questions:

Questions :

1) What type of varnish should I use to protect the bread?

2) Can I spray them with Krylon matte finish. Will the matte finish be ok, as I don't want them too shiny?

3) How many coats of varnish?

4) How long will this bread last after being varnished or sprayed?
How long do you think it will take to dry the bread? Can I put them in a bright place for them to dry without worrying about them getting moldy?

Please answer as soon as possible, I'm running out of time.

Thank You so much for all your help!

Char from SC

Answers

Here is a link that does a similar thing with rolls:

http://sewing.a  kly/aa111198.htm

Another idea rather than varnishing the bread would be to make it ahead and freeze the loaves until they are needed. That way each table could take home a loaf of fresh bread and it would be edible. You could buy some cheap plastic platters and arrange the bread in the middle with fresh parsley, fruits and vegetables around them.

I've never done this but as far as varnishing goes, you will want to dry the bread as much as possible by leaving it in a warm (150-200 degrees F) oven until it is very hard. Then spray with varnish or paint with shellac. The dryer it is, the longer it will last.

Sounds like a neat idea for your reunion. Best of Luck with this.
Susan

Hi Char, I hope you come back to this site and see my post. I want to varnish a loaf of fresh baked bread to use as a decoration and came here and saw your post. I was wondering if you were successful in your attempt.
I would like mine to last a very long time since it would be part of a decoration I plan to sell.
I was getting no where till I came here and say your post. Sorta funny that someone else wanted to do varnished bread also, I'm sure that doesn't happen often. If I don't get any feedback then I guess I will just have to give it a try and see how it turns out. I read Susan's post and will follow her directions on drying out the bread real good first.

Hope your reunion was a success.
Kind Regards,
Bernice

I see someone else has felt the need to preserve a loaf of bread by varnishing it. I was sure I was the only one. If anyone can give some advice it would mean a lot because the bread is a keepsake.

Did you find out how to preserve bread if so please share! Thanks

I need bread every year for a live nativity and so I've decided to buy or make a few loaves every year, dry & varnish them so eventually I'll have tons. I have been letting the ones I bought for the 2007 nativity dry for a few weeks now. Getting ready to buy varnish and try it out. Did anyone have a non-shiny varnish to reccomend that would work well?

How do I shellac homemade bread to keep for displays or to give as gifts?

By Pat D

Answers

I used day old Italian bread loafs and cut out a section in the middle (to put dried flowers and wheat and tied with a ribbon. Also put a pipe cleaner through the bread to hold the decoration) and used spray varnish over it all. It dried fine and was used as a decoration for years until it fell and broke. It is a cheap way to make fun gifts. For bread inperfections I put a fun plastic worm to make it cute. Some of the most inperfect loaves of bread turned out the best.

What kind of shellac or other product would work for preserving bread for display