Safely Disposing of Medications

Until recently I didn't have to worry about this question because I hadn't had to take anything except for vitamins most of my life. In the past four months, I now have a few different medications that are not working for me or had a bad reaction to so did some searching about what to do with them.

To keep our waterways and public drinking water safe, to keep medications out of the wrong hands and to ensure your general identity and medical identity are safe here is the FDA link regarding how to properly dispose of stale dated or unused over the counter and prescription medications:

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the link to the FDA site. I now have something to back up what I have been telling people. I put any leftover meds into saved ziploc bags which are clearly marked as having contained raw poultry, I do not clean them beforehand. I also smash whatever meds I put in there if they don't dissolve with whatever juices are in the bag. Then I place these in my garbage. I feel good that I am then not contaminating the environment.

Muchas Gracias!

You can also donate those meds, still in their pharmacy bottles, to a free clinic. (Just black out YOUR name.) My church runs one with MDs, RNs, Social Workers, etc. A few recent pills from you and a few from someone else will make a medically indigent person well.

You can always take any unused meds back to the pharmacy where you purchased them (in original bottles, please). The pharmacy has a specific area where they place these meds for disposal. Rather than bagging, crushing, or dumping meds this is the easiest and safest way to have them properly disposed of.

Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsAugust 5, 2009
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint
🎄
🍂