Buy Small Amounts of Veggies at the Salad Bar

We love salad, and the healthier the better. Here is a great money tip I use constantly. I will buy my main "green", such as romaine, or iceberg, etc. But I will go to the salad bar and get spinach to make the salad even more nutritious.

Spinach weighs so little it is much cheaper to buy this way than in a bag. I also find it cheaper to buy small amounts of shredded red cabbage to add here as well, as I usually don't need a whole head and the small bags are expensive. The salad bar is a great place to go for veggies that do not weigh much!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

I do this when I need a small amt of ingredients for dishes like "stir fry" i.e. broccoli, peppers, onions etc. When you only need a little, it's way cheaper this way; think of the wt. in stems, seeds and peelings you're throwing away when you buy whole produce (plus the work is already done for you!).

I do the same thing too...for alot of things....I buy the chopped eggs for a sandwich, the bacon bits for a recipe, chopped onions, etc. The girl at the checkout counter says she is seeing more and more people doing this now.

Unfortunately, that is not the safest thing to do. You never know who was at that salad bar before you. After buying salad for my family at a very "good" market, everyone came down with salmonella. We were lucky and caught it in time. A co-worker was not so fortunate some months later and spent some time in the hospital. Now, we buy from the vegetable stand, wash everything thoroughly and consider our health more important than our wallets. When I think my produce is getting old, I freeze it and save it for a stock pot.

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingApril 17, 2008
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls
🎉
🎄