Spring Maintenance: Gutter Tips
Spring is a good time to examine your gutters and see if they need to be cleaned. Here are some gutter tips.
- Plan on inspecting your gutters twice a year in the spring and fall. If your house is under trees you may have clean them more often.
- A small garden shovel works well for scooping debris out of gutters.
- Make your own gutter shovel with a 1 liter plastic pop bottle. Cut off the bottom of the bottle and half of the cylander to make a scoop.
- If your gutters sag the water will not flow properly. Remove all debris and re-attach gutters.
- Use a hose with pressure nozzle to clean out clogged spouts.
- Use a plumber's snake for stubborn clogs.
- Patch leaks with outdoor caulk.
- If you are using an extension ladder place a 2x4 in the gutter to help prevent it from bending under the pressure of you and the ladder.
- Remove rust with a wire brush and steel wool. Clean well. Then apply primer and paint to prevent future rusting.
- Wear heavy work gloves to prevent slivers and cuts from gutters.
- Use a sturdy ladder.
- Work with a buddy anytime you work in high places.
Do you have any gutter tips to add?
May 6, 20040 found this helpful
Forget cleaning out your guttering, thats what I say! Here in Australia we have something called EnviroFLO guttering. It has only been available in Western Australia for a few years. It is a completely enclosed gutter with little perforated filters on top, about every 12 inches. The water goes down into the gutter through the filters, excluding leaves and debris entirely, and the leaves/debris stay on top and blow away when they dry out. It does cost more than normal guttering but is a good investment for anyone who has to pay to have their gutters cleaned or who, like me, is planning for the future and can't see themselves balanced precariously up a ladder in 10 years time! I am surrounded by trees and would have a big problem with normal guttering. It is also supposed to be good in the case of bushfires as there is no accumulated debris to ignite the roof.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 26, 2016 at 11:41:51 PM on 10.0.0.185 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us