Caring for Finch Eggs

I have a Galapagos finch as a pet and she laid 5 eggs. I wasn't prepared for this to happen and the eggs are without a nest. My question is, are they OK being without a nest?

By Tori from San Antonio, TX

If you do not have a male finch in with her then the eggs are no good. Just toss them out. A female bird will lay eggs but they are not fertile so they will never hatch. You can buy inexpensive bird nests at most any pet store. I don't think it's necessary to have a nest but it does seem to make mama bird feel more secure as she is up higher and away from any predators. I have raised finches and always had nests for them.

I bought some zebra finches about a month ago. Their cage has a man-made wicker nest up in the top corner and they were using that regularly for a while. Then I had the bright idea of giving them some grass. They began putting it in the nest but then ended up building it in the feed bowl so I removed the nest.

Then I read that they won't build the nest anywhere that I put the materials in. So, next time I gave them grass, I put in the food bowl thinking that they would insist on moving it somewhere else. Instead, they didn't make a nest at all and they sometimes sleep in the food bowl and sometimes in the nest.

A few days ago, she laid 2 and then 3 eggs in the nest. Oddly enough, they don't give them much attention at all and are now both sleeping in the food bowl instead of the nest with the eggs. I gave them a bit of grass today and they both got busy right away bringing it up to the nest. They didn't make a very good nest but they jammed it all in there.

This afternoon, I gave them a bit more grass and they were no longer interested in it. I am hoping they sleep in the nest with the eggs tonight. Not sure if the eggs will be dead already though. I am sure I will see some signs if they are dead soon. Its pretty hot here in Thailand!

Any tips on the bird psychology behind this, about helping them make a nest in the man-made nest, or just about taking care of these eggs would be great. I really don't know much about them although google is helping!

February 19, 2011 Flag

How do you care for finch eggs?

By raywj from Philadelphia, PA

Caring for Finch Eggs
Or search for your question, good luck. (09/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

Caring for Zebra Finches
Caring for Zebra Finches
Pets BirdsFebruary 19, 2011
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
My Finch Laid Eggs
My Finch Laid Eggs