Rancid Smelling Dish Towels

By jane Ganim 1

I have rancid smelling cloth dinner napkins and dish towels, usually from using them to drain fried foods. I've washed them in bleach, but the smell does not come out. Any suggestions?

By Jane from S.F., CA

Showing: Answers Sort

By Sis 11 24 Flag

Try soaking them in oxiclean, and when draining the grease from fried food. My parents always used a newspaper and I do the same now.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Judi 18 938 Flag

You need to wash in really hot water with bleach but by the time you do all that wouldn't it be cheaper to use paper towels or newspapers to drain fried foods?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By carol 4 81 Flag

Maybe get a cloth specifically for draining foods and stick to that one - perhaps a cheesecloth. Then your tea towels and napkins won't be subjected to that. I'd try all the washing hints given here, but hang them outside in the sun to dry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cee Cee W. 3 Flag

The reason they still smell bad is because there is bacteria in them. Try this: Soak them in white vinegar (removes the stains and disinfects them), rinse them out with hot water, ring out most of the water, and microwave them for 1 1/2 minutes. For sponges only microwave them for 30 to 45 seconds. It works like a charm!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

Bleach may kill bacteria, but it doesn't break down grease. Amonia will do that, but don't mix them!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Scooter 11 Flag

I use cloth napkins to save money. I use to use them to drain french fries, etc.. I stopped for the very reason you describe. PLUS the rancid smell was also being transferred to the rest of my wash. Now I use cheap paper towels to drain grease, and use rags to clean up dirty nongreasy messes. I save the paper towels for grease.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Trix 6 8 Flag

I'd switch to paper towels to soak up grease, but to save the towels that already smell you can try adding baking soda (or even better, washing soda if you can find it) to your wash.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Fred 4 Flag

I don't know why you'd want to keep them? I'm sure they served you well for some time before they became completely foul, I would either buy new ones or try news paper.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 24, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Clothing stored in a closet.
Keeping Clothes Smelling Fresh
Stack of Colored Towels
Saving Money on Towels
Keeping Your House Smelling Nice With Smokers
Stack of colorful towels.
Making Bath Towels More Absorbent
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:18:24 PM on 10.0.1.31 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings