Paper Bead Jewelry

Craft lovely jewelry from beads you hand make using paper or fabric!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes to 1 hour

• paper
  • glue
  • scissors or rotary cutter
  • ruler
  • bead roller tool or toothpick
  • cording/thread or elastic to string beads
  • clearcoat

1. Select the paper you want to use for your beads. Almost any paper will work; newspaper, magazines, road maps, sales flyers, brochures, scrapbook paper etc. (Strips of fabric may be used in place of the paper if preferred.)

2. Using scissors or your rotary cutter/mat cut paper strips into long triangle shapes. Vary the width and length of the strips to see what size strip produces the size and shape beads that you like (or simply make a variety of sizes and shapes).

3. Once the paper strip has been cut, place a bit of glue down the length on the WRONG side (the side you do not want to see on the outside of your bead) of the strip being sure to leave the wider end of the paper strip glue free for the first inch or so.

4. Then begin rolling the paper strip (from the wide end to the narrow). I use a bead roller tool purchased online. The tool makes rolling the bead very easy and a bit faster. A toothpick or plastic coffee stirrer can also be used.

5. Roll the paper strip up being careful to adjust the paper as you roll to get the shape bead you prefer.

6. Once the bead has been rolled, gently remove the paper bead from the bead roller tool or toothpick. Just slide it right off.

7. The bead can then be coated with varnish, clear nail polish, mod-podge or even a glue/water mixture to provide a shiny, protective coating.

8. After applying the clearcoat, I usually insert a toothpick into one end of the bead and stick the toothpick/bead into a styrofoam block while the bead drys.

9. Allow the beads to dry fully before stringing onto heavy thread, elastic or wire to make a variety of necklaces, bracelets and earrings!

These beads are so pretty it is hard to believe they are recycled from free paper sources.

Try it. Soon you will have jewelry to match every outfit. The beaded jewelry makes great Christmas gifts as well.

By Pam from McMinnville, TN

I make these beads for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes all year round. Different pages make different colors and I find a sale on craft beads to put in between. Lots of fun. I have already made a 100.

I have made these beads also and they are so beautiful and very unique, especially when you make earrings to match. I use wallpaper also. I don't use a rolling tool though, I just use a toothpick. Works fine, though a little tricky at first. Thanks for the instructions.

Where did you buy the bead roller tool? And was it expensive?

I do like this project I hit that I didn't by mistake so I hope they will take that vote off anyway going to give this a world..:)

finished bracelet
Making Paper Beads
Crafts BeadworkJuly 20, 2009
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making Tri-Bead Keychains
Making a Paper Pin
Making Paper Jewelry Pins
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry