Pet Safe Algea Removal From Fountain

We have a fountain/waterfall for indoors that is made of slate/rock. My problem is trying to keep it clean and get rid of the algae buildup without harming my pets. Our new kitten drinks from it constantly and now our dog is starting to drink from it as well.

Obviously bleach would not work, but I have heard that vinegar would kill the bacteria/algae, but not harm the pets. Can anyone tell me if this is true...and if so, what proportions or if there are any other safe options.

TIA

Lisa

Answers

Several years ago, we posed the question to our vet about our three cats drinking from the fountain - can look quite yucky at times. He told us that the fountain shouldn't be a concern for them - cats are pretty hardy in the wild. (Our cats are all indoor, so they wouldn't know what to do in the wild, but they seem undamaged by the fountain water and enjoy it thoroughly.

When we clean it, we simply use a soft brush and water, no soap, no bleach.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 12, 2007
Carpet Cleaner
Pet Safe Carpet Cleaners
Inexpensive Water Fountain
Building an Inexpensive Water Fountain
A cat licking its lips.
Getting a Cat to Use a Pet Drinking Fountain
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
🎉
🎄