We have a fountain/waterfall for indoors that is made of slate/rock. My problem is trying to keep it clean and get rid of the algae buildup without harming my pets. Our new kitten drinks from it constantly and now our dog is starting to drink from it as well.
Obviously bleach would not work, but I have heard that vinegar would kill the bacteria/algae, but not harm the pets. Can anyone tell me if this is true...and if so, what proportions or if there are any other safe options.
Several years ago, we posed the question to our vet about our three cats drinking from the fountain - can look quite yucky at times. He told us that the fountain shouldn't be a concern for them - cats are pretty hardy in the wild. (Our cats are all indoor, so they wouldn't know what to do in the wild, but they seem undamaged by the fountain water and enjoy it thoroughly.
When we clean it, we simply use a soft brush and water, no soap, no bleach.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!