Making a Cardboard Art Fountain

Category Decor
Pieces of recycled cardboard boxes are transformed into a decorative fountain. This is a guide about making a cardboard art fountain.

You don't need expensive art materials to have fun. You can make something from cardboard boxes! I created a fountain and you can too. Check it out!

Total Time: 8 hours

• cardboard
  • various sized dishes
  • glue
  • pen or Sharpie
  • pan of watercolor paints
  • scissors
  • acrylic latex silicone
  • mirror (optional)

1. Get an idea what shape you want for your fountain by using dishes, bowls, and things you have around the house to make a template or model.
  2. Use those dishes to draw the various sizes onto some cardboard.
  3. Cut them out and stack them into the same shape as your template of dishes.
  4. Ad

5. I cut out the largest dish size (the base) as rings and used the centers for the stacking pieces. (Sorry I neglected to photo this process, but it's just stacking your round cardboard discs.)
  6. If you have a mirror that you can sandwich it between some of the base cardboard pieces, it makes realistic looking water in the fountain base!
  7. Glue them together, stacking them up as you go.
  8. Ad

9. I mixed up some paint in a watercolor paintbox and added it to the fountain for a weathered, realistic look.
  10. I spread a somewhat thick amount of latex caulk onto a piece of firm craft plastic I had and added a smear of blue and let it dry in the sun. It drys transparent and the blue is a nice highlight that makes it look like water.
  11. When it dried I cut a few strips in the top of it and left it there and rolled the rest slowly down the board.
  12. Ad

13. I used the rolled caulk to wrap around the fountain to look like water running down.
  14. The strips were carefully removed and hung down from the top of the fountain to look like running water.
  15. Ad

16. I rolled a small ball from a tiny bit of caulk left to look like bubbling water on the top of the fountain.

It was very popular and a lot of folks wanted me to show them how to do it so I thought my Thriftyfun folks might as well!
I hope you try it and vote for me! :D

That is really creative and pretty!