My chocolate lab is 7 months old now and he has eaten, well actually -- swallowed whole, every pair of socks that I or my kids have tried to hide from him (he still finds them), and also has eaten 3 of my bras! He eats EVERYTHING!
He has also consumed a whole box of crayons (he had colorful rainbow poop the next day!), mardi gras beads, paper clips, erasers, happy meal toys, etc. Believe me, we spend SO much time hiding things all over the house from him and he STILL finds it! I know that he eats all this stuff mainly WHOLE because, sometimes it will come out in one piece in his stool or he vomits it up...and if I don't catch and clean the vomit in time, he licks it all back up again!
I know this is gross, but this is an everyday thing for me and my family. He does eat his dogfood and gets regular checkups at the vet. He is healthy and happy... but why the heck does he do this?!
Does anyone out there have this problem too?
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.
My chocolate Lab is 7 months old now and he has eaten, well actually swallowed whole, every pair of socks that I or my kids have tried to hide from him (he still finds them), and also has eaten 3 of my bras. He eats everything.
He has also consumed a whole box of crayons (he had colorful rainbow poop the next day.), Mardi Ggras beads, paper clips, erasers, Happy Meal toys, etc. Believe me, we spend so much time hiding things all over the house from him and he still finds it. I know that he eats all this stuff mainly whole because, sometimes it will come out in one piece in his stool or he vomits it up and if I don't catch and clean the vomit in time, he licks it all back up again.
I know this is gross, but this is an everyday thing for me and my family. He does eat his dogfood and gets regular checkups at the vet. He is healthy and happy, but why the heck does he do this?
Does anyone out there have this problem too?
By Donna J.
Found this blog after looking for advice on how to stop my Lab from eating socks. I think there's some helpful info but figure I'd share some things that I've learned in the two years with my Lab, including his 1st exploratory surgery.
If your dog eats a sock the best thing to do is to get it back up. Best way as I've been told by my vet and read in various blogs is by giving a small dose of hydrogen peroxide. Best way I've found to administer is through a syringe. Once ingested your dog will pretty much immediately vomit and the sock will not make it into his intestines. Our lab habitually ate socks even when great effort was taken to keep them away from him. He must have eaten over 15 socks, throwing up most, passing some, the most recent unfortunately got stuck in the middle and we paid $2,000 to have emergency surgery to get it removed. The money part sucks, the worst part is the possibility of losing your dog, and if they do make it, the miserable recovery.
If you dog has swallowed something and you have not seen it come back up or out, here are few signs to look for when deciding to take him to the vet:
Hopefully this is helpful, it really can become a scary problem and I'm just incredibly grateful to have my guy back at home. I hope he out grows this as some people claim in previous posts, I don't want to be back in the emergency room again. (02/02/2007)
Here's some tips I learned in obedience class:
I hope this will help at least someone out there. (02/23/2007)
Give your dog 1ml of 3% peroxide per kilogram of body weight (or a 5 ml teaspoon per 10lbs). Check the percentage and scale accordingly. Give it to your dog in milk. Down goes the milk, up comes everything. Dog pulls long face and you need to give him soup and gentle food after. Chicken soup.The dog has been partially stripped of his/her stomach juices and needs time. Add breathing space and love. (11/07/2007)
By Jeff G.
Dogs under 2 years of age need to be confined when not supervised, and if your puppy is stealing socks, where are you when it is happening? Your puppy needs to be on a leash in the home. Yes in the home, until he is trustworthy. These are not trustworthy puppies here.
Why do puppies eat socks, bras and panties? Because the armpits, the crotch and the feet are where your scent glands are. They also lick other dogs urine and poop. This is not a dog problem this is a people problem. Why does you dog inhale the sock as you go to scold him? Because you missed the opportunity to properly correct his behavior. He is being punished "after" the fact. He needs to be caught in the act of grabbing the sock, not once he has already got it. Once he has the sock you cannot go running, yelling "Fido drop it" in an angry tone. He will get frightened and gulp that sucker down. His fear is you will take it a way and he '"likes socks".
These types of puppies are possessive in nature and have been trained that giving up items results in a punishment, so they will dispose of the item as fast as they can. The flip side is he rarely or never has been caught and he has not been corrected, so he has no idea the sock will kill him, or that it is bad. They wolf the item down because you have punished him so many times at the wrong time. Human error, not dog error.
I have been training dogs professionally for 12 yrs and this is a very easy problem to solve. Instead of paying 100s and 1000s of dollars on vet bills, spend a couple hundred bucks and solve the problem, hire a trainer. If you can train dog to avoid rattlesnakes, this should be a no brainer. It is called aversion training. Call a professional, not you local pet shop to find a good private trainer to come to your home, tell them you need to do avoidance or aversion training to save your dogs life and your pocket book. If not, Invest in a hamper with a lid and use it. (05/04/2008)
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.