Cleaning a Strong Odor Off the Outside of Shoes

Today I stepped in something really smelly. I can't quite figure out what it was or what the smell is, but I don't really want to know. I have washed them with the garden hose and then threw them in the washer, but I just can't get rid of the smell. It isn't as strong, but is still there. Does anybody have any ideas?

By Austin

So your shoes are able to go into the washer okay? Then try adding some vinegar (like 1/4 cup) in with the wash cycle--vinegar removes odors and also acts as a disinfectant. The vinegar "smell" will dissipate when dried. (Vinegar is used to rid washing machines of lingering odors, too). After that, you could put them into a plastic bag big enough to tie closed, but add some baking soda to absorb the odors and lay the shoes on their sides carefully, leave sealed overnight.

Picture of a man holding up stinky shoes.
Remedies for Stinky Shoes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesDecember 9, 2010
Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
Photo of spring cleaning supplies.
Cleaning Tar Off Vinyl