Remedies for Stinky Shoes

Category Odors
The smell of stinky shoes can be overwhelming and make you want to throw them away. There are a number of good ways to remove and prevent the odors. This is a guide about removing odors from stinky shoes.

To get the smell out of shoes, I put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder, and cornstarch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight. It works like a charm.

By Sherry from Onset, MA

Anonymous
Top Comment

Crumbled newspaper works great too because of the carbon in the news print :-) Thanks for this extra tip :-)

Top Comment

Spraying with white vinegar also works.

Top Comment

I wipe out the insides of shoes with rubbing alcohol.

Top Comment

I buy the generic version of Lysol spray from the dollar store. I spray at night and let the shoes dry overnight. Sweet smelling in the morning.

To freshen boots, bowling shoes, ski boots, etc., place a dryer sheet in each one when not in use.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I keep giving feedback about the chemicals in dryer sheets, which can be very dangerous. I suggest that you at least do not put your bare feet into any footwear that has had dryer sheets stored in them - always wear socks. If your feet sweat, you shouldn't use dryer sheets at all, as your feet will absorb these chemicals. Please read my TF post from last November in response to folks who were sending suggestions for using dryer sheets on their pets. (Link below) It's no joke - these chemicals are dangerous.

http://www.thri  9225487.tip.html

Top Comment

I put rubbing alcohol on a cotton square and rub the insides of my shoes to disinfect them.

If you have someone who has sweaty feet all the time, here is a solution to get rid of the smell in their shoes. Throw shoes in the washer. Once dry, double bag them and put in the freezer overnight. This will kill the bacteria that causes the odour. Once thawed and dry, spray with vinegar, rubbing alcohol or Pinesol. Cover entire inside of shoe. Once dry, dust with powder. Works well.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Top Comment

So many steps? I only need two things to get rid of foot smell:
1. I wash my feet daily - do it thoroughly (drying primarily).
2. I wear cedarsoles inside all of my shoes. Cedarsoles are chemical-free insoles made from natural cedarwood. The cedarwood has antibacterial features and eliminate any bad bacteria on my feet skin. So the smell has no more basis.

Sure, there are many things you can do to try and remedy the long-time battle of the "stinky shoe". You can mix various concoctions, sprinkle dust, make magic potions or whatever, but why not invest that valuable time somewhere else? Want to get rid of the stink? Stuff the shoes with newspaper. That's right. Newspaper. Shoes should be "stink-free" come morning!

Source: I'm the grandmother of the boy with the world's stinkiest shoes!

By FranFran from Zebulon, Georgia

Use regular kosher salt or any salt. Just sprinkle in shoes after heavy use, then wear with socks or without. It will kill the odor. Repeat if necessary.

Pour some cat litter, scented or unscented, into a pair of heavy socks or sock slippers and close it with a rubber band. Drop the litter filled socks into the pair of shoes or sneakers. Litter was created to reduce and remove some heavy duty odors, so it's perfect for this!

Make shoe inserts from old socks. Stuff each sock with fiberfill or cotton from old pillow or stuffed toys, add a small amount of baking soda to help absorb odors, and machine stitch or hand stitch the opening closed.

To get rid of smelly feet and stinky shoes you can use insoles made from cedar material. For example special Cedarsoles made from antifungal and fresh smelling cedar wood.

It tackles the cause of the problem, foot bacteria!

If you ever have a pair of shoes that don't smell very good then I have an easy solution for you! Just take some tea bags and place them in your shoes while not in use, in a day or two your shoes won't have any bad smell!

Dryer sheets are a great way to deodorize stinky shoes. Here is this tip in action.

To freshen up smelly training shoes/sneakers, put a sheet of fabric softener in them overnight.

Put a drop of peppermint or cinnamon oil on some used dryer sheets and tuck them into athletic shoes or work boots. Great for teenage boys!

I used my dryer sheets in my shoes and my kids' shoes. This removed the odor from the shoes. You can also put a dryer sheet in your stored shoes to absorbed odors. This simple tip works well.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Put your smelly sneakers in the washing machine with a half a cup of vinegar and some laundry detergent. Fill the washer with water and allow sneakers to soak for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes wash as usual. The sneakers will come out odor free and smelling as good as new.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

To get the stink out of your tennis shoes use tea tree oil. Put the shoes in the washing machine. Set the water level to low. Add 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil.

To keep shoes smelling fresh(er), fill the foot portion of an old pair of nylons with baking soda and stuff into the shoes when not being worn. Makes a big difference! By Leann D

To get moisture or stink out of shoes, fill two old socks with baking soda and knot at the ends. Shove deep into the shoes and let them sit overnight.

What can you put in shoes to make them smell less? My grandson stays in his tennis shoes. I would like something that he could slip into his shoes at night, that would help get rid of the odor. Thanks.

By Cookie 17 from Roanoke, VA

Answers

Best Answer

I don't have smell troubles, but I put in Bounce Dryer Sheets every night into my shoes to keep them fresh. Works for me.

Best Answer

Try wadding up newspaper and slipping it in his shoes over night or even for a weekend. It should get rid of the smell

I went to a watering hole and was wearing my water shoes. I then packed them in a plastic pack and promptly forgot about them. I opened the bag 2 days later and they smell horrible. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the smell? I'm willing to try anything to make them smell normal again!

I bought my son a pair of leather Jordon's at the Finish Line 2 months ago. They smell like cat urine and we have no cats! I have washed them, let them dry, and stuffed them with newspaper. I also bought a new shoe deodorizer and the shoes still smell like cat urine, to the point the shoes make my house smell like cat urine. What do you suggest for me to resolve this problem? Thank you.

By Rhonda M.

Answers

Best Answer

You should have taken them back and maybe you still can if they have not been worn much. They were probably made in China and it is probably the glue they used. Don't buy shoes made in China. You don't know what they are made of.

Best Answer

I would go to a farm supply or hardware store to buy a product designed to eliminate urine smell. Then I would apply the product, and allow the shoes to dry outside in the sun, while I treated the inside of the house.

I went to Arkansas and I got my Jordan's all wet. I threw them in the washer, but it seems that the odor of the inside is just worse now. It's part of the shoe, if that makes any sense. If anyone has a way to get rid of the odor please help me.

By Raul from Bartlett, TX

How do I remove odors from sneakers?

By Nativeluv from Sacramento, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I have to wear athletic shoes for work, and I wash mine at least once a month in the washer, then set out to dry outside with the laces out, and tongues pulled back, which helps greatly.
Otherwise, you could try filling the insides with baking soda and leaving at least overnite, or trying an unused fabric softener sheet tucked down into the toe area.
Hope you find something that works for you!

Best Answer

I wouldn't have believed you could wash leather sneakers in the washing machine, but you can. I first tried it with a pair that I would have thrown out could I not clean them. I took the insoles out to wash separately. Dry everything in the sun and they're almost brand new. Use a higher end laundry soap for this dirty job and that will also help with deodorizing.

Best Answer

I've heard that you can stuff them with newpaper and set outside over night and that helps. It's not a permanent fix though you may have to do it once a week or so.

I purchased some sandals from JCPenney a few months ago. The brand is Yuu and it says they are made from "man made materials". After wearing them quite a bit they have become smelly and there is a dark imprint of my feet on them. How do I get rid of both the smell and the footprints?

Load More