Smelly New Athletic Shoes

I bought my son a pair of leather Jordon's at the Finish Line 2 months ago. They smell like cat urine and we have no cats! I have washed them, let them dry, and stuffed them with newspaper. I also bought a new shoe deodorizer and the shoes still smell like cat urine, to the point the shoes make my house smell like cat urine. What do you suggest for me to resolve this problem? Thank you.

By Rhonda M.

Best Answer

You should have taken them back and maybe you still can if they have not been worn much. They were probably made in China and it is probably the glue they used. Don't buy shoes made in China. You don't know what they are made of.

Best Answer

I would go to a farm supply or hardware store to buy a product designed to eliminate urine smell. Then I would apply the product, and allow the shoes to dry outside in the sun, while I treated the inside of the house.

Best Answer

The smell is not due to the shoes being made in China, it's from teenage boy (can happen with girls, too) sweaty feet. Trust me, I have 17 year old twin boys. Their shoes smell like cat urine as well. Bleh! I don't notice the smell until they get wet...usually.

I'm going to try the baking soda method I've heard about and maybe the freezing method as well. Regardless, I'll let you know if I find anything that works. Good luck!

Contact the store and see what they suggest. Take the actual shoes and let them smell them. If they help you out, good. If they don't, you will at least know not to ever shop there again. I agree with Lilac that they should have been returned immediately before they were worn, if they smelled so awful.

If they did not smell before your son wore them, perhaps it is some odd chemical reaction between his perspiration and the shoe.

Bet they are made in China, if so, there isn't much hope for them.

amazon.com sells a product called Odorcide - this product is meant to eliminate tough, foul odors..not just cover them up. Good for urine, pet feces odors, mildew, smoking, smoke from fire damage, etc. It's highly recommended by hospitals and vets. It's concentrated, so you mix...not expensive either! It has a light, fresh scent.

I have the exact same problem with the Air Jordans that I bought my son. The shoes are about 3 months old and smell like cat pee! I'm washing them with baking soda and then putting baking soda in them for 24 hours. I hope something helps, they are in good shape yet just really stinky!

Try stuffing a sock or knee high panty hoes with cat liter, tying off the top, and placing in the shoes when they are not being worn.

My son's Under Armor football cleats, Nike and Adidas basketball shoes smell like cat pee. From what I understand, it's not the inside of the shoe, or sweaty feet. It's the outside, the material and glue. My son has casual basketball and running shoes that he wears and they don't smell at all. I keep wondering if it's not the synthetic stuff they use to make the shoes lighter. It seems to be the ones that have the netting material. Real leather doesn't smell like that, but it's heavier and not used in performance athletic shoes. I just make sure that they aren't left in a bag. When they dry out, the smell fades. They need to fix it...it's gross.

Anonymous

Same with my son's Nike Double Fusion. He was asked to leave his class in school today because the smell was so pungent.

My sons J's do the same thing. I've made him switch shoes until I can figure out what to do with the ammonia smell. I've washed them twice every weekend and sprayed different things in them. I don't know what else to do.

Kill the fungus in the shoe. After you wash and dry them, bag them up and leave them in the freezer overnight.

I understand hat the smell is not urine, but the glue once warm and moist that stinks like that. I think baking powder is your best bet, but not a guarantee.