Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Spiders

How do I get rid of spiders in the basement?

By peggi37 from Endicott, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Janet [7]07/11/2009

Spiders eat insects. I would rather have the spiders there then a bunch of bugs.

By Bob [7]07/10/2009

Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth around the area where the spiders invade. You may be able to get Diatomaceous Earth (DE) at Walmart but any pool supply store should have it. DE is used in some pool filters. It is a powder and harmless to humans and animals but to bugs it is like little razor blades.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Spiders

How do I get rid of spiders in my house and hegdes?

Amanda from Wabash, IN

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

First make sure you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get rid of them. A few spiders are better then a few hundred other bugs! (i)Spiders and bats are our friends and should be coddled not crushed ;)(/i) My grandmother used to hang "citrus melon" in her basement to get rid os spiders. I tried to look up the name & found nothing...but it's a melon that smells like oranges. Maybe someone else will know of a more suitable name for such a thing. While I can not say that it works from personal experience, my grandmother swore by them! (09/01/2006)

By Qryztufre

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

I have no advice to get rid of the spiders. I keep my spiders and love that they are there. I just wanted to back up the lady that sent you the previous advice. Spiders eat a lot of other bugs which you really don't want around. I have an extensive garden and I'm happy to find cobwebs out there in my veggies and flowers. (09/01/2006)

By jrslady

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

The "citrus melon" your grandmother referred to are also called hedge apples. They are a fruit (inedible) of the hedge tree also known as the "Osage Orange" by the Indians. I have not heard them called citris melons but understand how they could be having a pungent orange scent. They are abundant in Missouri in the fall along country road ditches being a neon green in color and somewhat smaller than an orange. (09/03/2006)

By Lynkco1

Archive: Getting Rid of Spiders

Does anyone know how to get rid of spiders?

Mariana from Houston, TX

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

I have found a good way of ridding our home of these devils, we use spider away, it is like the snake away dust that you can use to rid the area of snakes. you can find this at most feed stores, or general hardware stores. we also live in texas, so we know that spiders are a problem. good luck! (09/11/2006)

By happycattails

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

There is a spray out now that is safe to use indoors. I thiink it is buy ORTHO, but I am not positive. If you go to ACO or ACE hardware and ask, they should be able to tell you. (09/13/2006)

By Deb

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

I guess all of you who "Love" spiders have not had to deal with the "brown recluse"! They are thick in our part of the world and love to hide in bedding and clothing. A bite from one of them turns into a hideous nightmare! After seeing, first hand, the pain, sickness and disfigurement one bite has produced in my family and friends, I do not want ANY spiders in my house. (09/13/2006)

By Grandma Margie

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

Try using White Vineger (1 QT) add three to five drops of Cocanut oil. Mix well, place in a spray bottle and spray base boards and anywhere else you need. (09/23/2006)

By Jim

Archive: Getting Rid of Spiders

I need to find out what would be the best way to get rid of spiders in my house.

Lucie

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

I would like to thanks everyone for there advices on killing spiders. I am sure that between all those information I will be able to find the right one to help me with my problem.

Thanks to all of you. Lucie (03/08/2007)

By Lucie

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

These big green things are called "Horse Apples" in TX because nothing eats them. I'm not sure where to find them anymore since most of the trees they're from have been eradicated somehow. I understood the tree was almost impenetrable because the wood is so tough, and it won't even burn in a campfire? I prefer to keep my yard more in Organic balance if I can, and let the unseen few spiders do whatever they do. I will not allow one to get into the house, though, and usually kill it if it does since we've had Recluse Spider bites several times over the years. I go outside and puff Boric Acid into the cracks in the brick, around any hole they might enter through. It seems to work. Also, I am careful not to keep too many house plants, AND to brush off if raking leaves or trimming trees. : ) (03/11/2007)

By Lynda

Archive: Getting Rid of Spiders

I need a good old home remedy for spiders (the removing of them).

Kathy from Omaha, NE

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

I've heard that placing eucalyptus branches and leaves around entry ways will keep spiders away. (07/09/2008)

By Wickate

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

Hello,
Someone else mentioned an indoor spray by Ortho. We use that and it seems to help. I am not sure, however, how safe the chemicals are in it so if that kind of thing worries you, you may want to do some research first before you spray it in your house. (07/10/2008)

By runuts251

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

You can call the cooperative extension in your area. They can give you answers to almost anything. And they can give you safe alternatives. Sometimes they are located at your local college. I have called them several times. The last one was for getting rid of those tiny, pesky little ants! (07/10/2008)

By dellajo

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

The presence of spiders means you have a lot of bugs to eat. Spiders are also attracted to the smell of gas and propane. Check your gas appliances for signs of cobwebs. If they are clear, then you probably have a bug problem. You could spray down your whole house or let the little critters do it for you. Once your bugs are gone, the spiders will go too. I leave them be in the out of the way corner or behind the fridge, but if they come out on the counter, then it's smack down time. (07/11/2008)

By Risk

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

At our house, we get rid of spiders one of two ways:

1) Get a wide-mouth jar or cup and a stiff piece of paper (the subscription tags in magazines works fine). Trap the spider in the jar and quickly slide the paper over the jar. You can then release the spider outside where he/she belongs.

2) The other involves the Filter Queen "relocation" program. As you are vacuuming and notice a spider, use the hand attachment, to relocate them. (07/11/2008)

By dkjohn7

RE: Getting Rid of Spiders

Hedge apples are great to deter insects completely. Just put them in the corners of your room or where the spiders are, and you will not see any insects as long as the hedge apples are there. (11/02/2008)

By donna52479