Browsing: Storing Powdered Sugar

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

How do I keep my sugar from going hard in the bag?

By Shelly from Ashland, KY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Moisture causes sugar to harden. You can avoid that by storing it in an airtight container.

Put a cracker or two in the container, that's what I do.

I had that issue while living in Denver. Use a ziplock bag or a container that has a good seal. Add a slice of bread. You will have to change it every few days. Turn the stale bread into crumbs, make french toast from it, add it to dishes requiring bread, feed it to the birds, etc. I had to do the same thing when I made cookies.

Tupperware brand One Touch Reminder Canisters work great! They have a good seal so moisture is kept out, and they make it easy to scoop and measure ingredients. And, if you order them in January, they're usually on sale! At, $25-39 for a set of four, they're a bit of an investment, but I'd say they're definitely worth it!

October 23, 2010 Flag

How do you keep a bowl of sugar from getting hard?

By cuddlebug2710 from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

This is what my grandmother used to do. Put a saltine cracker in the bowl. The cracker absorbs any moisture and leaves the sugar dry. Good luck. (06/11/2009)

By kateh09

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I bought some very small clay bears ($1.00 each). They are sold for use in sugar containers. One fits perfectly at the bottom of the sugar bowl. They absorb moisture and the sugar stays soft. (06/12/2009)

By mulberry204

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

With white sugar a saltine cracker works/keep container closed and refresh periodically. I don't know if it works for brown sugar. With rolling tobacco apple slivers moisten it or else it gets dry city, so it might work well with brown sugar. Refeshen every couple days. (06/12/2009)

By PamelaW

June 10, 2009 Flag

I keep my brown sugar in the bag and it gets hard when I want use it for the next time. When I tied it and put it up in the cupboard, it still gets hard. What can I do?

Dorothy

Answers:

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

My Grandma always swore by a slice of apple in the bag. (02/12/2008)

By doodles

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

What works for me is my microwave. Put the whole package in the microwave on top of a pot holder and warm it up a couple of minutes. It will finally break apart and you can work the sugar with a fork while it's warm. Add another minute, etc. until sugar breaks apart easily. (02/12/2008)

By Lorelei

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

Seems for different people different things work. For me I find air causes hardening within 1 week. If I suck out all the air, twist tie the bag and double bag it into a Zip Lock bag that has the air removed, it will last for several months and remain soft. If any air gets to it, I find it goes hard in less than 1 week. When I see my brown sugar starting to go hard, I simply add slices of apple, rebag and within 48 hours I have soft sugar again. (02/13/2008)

By Chicklet

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I found some Terra cotta bears (made for this purpose) at a local kitchen store. I put one in each of my sugar canisters and salt canister, also. No more lumps or hardening. They're pretty inexpensive, about $2.50 each. It comes with directions too, as sugars and salts differ. Hope this helps. (02/13/2008)

By Darlene

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

The slice of bread works great I do it all the time. A slice of bread also works if your homemade cookies are too hard. (02/13/2008)

By Ann

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I keep my brown sugar in the freezer. It takes a minute or two to become very soft and then I measure it and pop it back in the freezer. I have been doing this for years and have had no problems. (02/13/2008)

By Andrea

Keeping Sugar From Becoming Hard

I put mine in a Tupperware container. Stays fresh forever.
(02/14/2008)

By rda

February 12, 2008 Flag

How do I keep high humidity from hardening the granulated sugar?

Powdered Sugar in Bowl
Storing Powdered Sugar
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 23, 2010
Sugar Snap Peas
Freezing Snow Peas (Sugar, Chinese, or Sugar Snap Peas)
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Gift bag made out of a sugar bag craft
Craft Uses for Sugar Bags
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 7:00:47 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.