Cleaning Dirty Work Clothing

My boyfriend works construction (all kinds ). He sweats badly and his shirts and pants are terrible. Even after I wash them two or three times, it doesn't help. He wears t-shirts and jeans.

He gets paint, grease, you name it, it's on there. I would throw them away, but he's just going to get more fifty. It seems like I've tried every detergent out there. No help. Any ideas? Thank you for all answers!

By Rhoda

I always use Simple Green spray for laundry like that. My husband drives a log truck, and has to do alot of his own maintenance on it. If they are bad enough, I will put them in a 5 gallon bucket on the porch after spraying the worst spots, fill it up with water, and add a little more, then let them sit for a day or two before washing.

Otherwise, I just spray with the Simple Green, using it like laundry spot remover, and it works well enough.

For seriously greasy spots, I have used the hand cleaner gels like Mojo, or other brands, and scrubbed into the spots, letting them set for a few hours before washing.

Hot, hot water for dirty dirt. Paint: can't help you there. Grease: spot treat with Dawn or a like dish cleaner, and then wash. Do not add soap as the Dawn will be there. The trick with grease is to get it into a solution and then wash the solution out.

My husband works on small engines, lawn mowers, tillers, etc. Some of his tee shirts are badly stained with oil, grease, and dirt. I use a stain remover from the Dollar Tree Store. It comes in a 32 ounce spray bottle and is called Awesome Pre-Wash Laundry Stain Remover. When I sort his shirts from the hamper, I lay them front side up, lying open and flat on a pile. I place the pile in a ventilated area and Spray the stains on the front of the top shirt, around the neck, and then turn it over and spray the back if there are any stains there. Most of the shirts are stained only on the front. I toss the first one in a basket, and continue the same procedure with each shirt. When all have been sprayed, I let them stand a few minutes and then throw them in the machine along with another cup of the stain remover, the appropriate amount of detergent, and 1/2 cup of soda.You can find soda in a

13.5 pound bag at Sam's Wholesale Club. I wash in warm water. Not every stain comes out every time, but in most cases they come very clean.

Harlean from Arkansas

I have to agree with the poster that recommended the Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Tree or Dollar General. I love that stuff & use it on everything. I pre-teat my laundry with a solution of 1:1 in a spray bottle. My husband spilled an entire bottle of red Gatorade on a pale yellow shirt & it took that out completely, I've even gotten blood out of clothes with it. I have also used it in a carpet cleaner on my carpets & it worked great. Definitely give it a try.

My DH works construction as well. Sometimes he comes home with clothes too greasy/nasty to even put in our washing machine like when he's been at the asphalt plant! If he knows in advance he'll be working someplace like this, he wears "throw-away" clothes. Work clothes that are already in really bad shape or clothes he's picked up at the thrift store super cheap. It sounds wasteful to throw away clothes but when it's tar/asphalt, it's almost impossible to get out and you'll risk getting the stuff in your washing machine and ruining other clothes. He generally pays $1-$2 dollars for "throw away" jeans and .25 - .50 for the shirts. He'll sometimes wear the jeans 2 or 3 times before they get so bad he can't stand them anymore.

Construction Worker
Cleaning Dirty Construction Work Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJuly 24, 2010
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs