Cleaning Dirty Uniform Work Shirts

My husband works for WM. His work shirts are yellow and silver. I tried to get the stains he gets on them out with Oxi stain remover and a Spray and Wash with no results. Can someone give me a good recommendation to get these tough stains out?

Best Answer

For tough stains I use a variety of things.

Dawn dish soap--the plain blue simple Dawn is my first line. I rub it in and let it sit overnight, then wash on cold. Don't dry in the dryer until the stains are gone--air dry in the sun if you can.

Second line is to mix one part of the dawn and one part of baking soda and one part of vinegar in a jar and then spread it on the stain--massage it into the spot and let it sit for 1-2 hours then wash, do not machine dry as above.

Third line--take equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and two parts cold water, shake them up in a jar and then pour the mix on the stain. Let it sit for 1-2 hours, then wash, don't machine dry until the stains are out.

Sometimes it takes all 3 to get the stains out. My hubby has had a few that were x3 fails...and the shirt became a rag. That was sad.

Post back how it goes!

Best Answer

It seems a lot of suggestions have been offered but one of the problems that I see is you do not say what type of material the shirts are made of and different combinations of material will not react the same way.
Also, are the shirts colorfast? Do they fade easily?
Whatever method you decide to try be sure to check often for fading so if there is a problem you can remove them and place in clean water.

Probably Pghgirl's suggestion about using Dawn would do a good job and not cause any damage to the shirts.

No one really mentioned Oxiclean but if the shirts are colorfast and the stains are old this may be a good solution but I would start with less Oxiclean than most sites recommend until you see if it will help.

You can start with a small amount of warm water to dissolve the powder but soak in either warm or cold water. Soaking is the key to stain removal and then wash in cold water and do not dry in dryer as it will probably take several soaks to really clean old stains.
Check out this site for instructions.

www.mamaslaundrytalk.com/.../

Best Answer

I vouch for baking soda and vinegar. Together, they clean out lots of stains. They create a little explosion that gets stains out.

One way I found to get out stains is by sprinkling baking soda on the stain and soaking the item in vinegar. When done scrub the stain with Dawn dish soap and then wash. Try this it should work for you. Baking soda is a great stain remover.

This site has a lot of tough cleaning solutions - www.nbcnews.com/.../how-get-stains-out-almost-anything... hope this helps!

Here is a great site to reference: www.rejuvenateproducts.com/.../

If you are dealing with grease stains, baby powder is the best thing to get them out! Sprinkle a good amount on the grease stain.

Roll it up and let sit overnight. Wash the next day. It will be gone. I often forget an apron, and splash grease on myself when cooking.

I have had good luck removing stains of all kinds with powder dishwasher detergent. Soak the items overnight in a bucket or your washer( depends on volume of stained items).One fourth cup per item of clothing dissolved in warm water.. Make sure the stained area is submerged in the solution. Any brand of powder detergent will do for this. I get the el cheapo brand from the dollar store. You should test an inconspicuous area of the item for color fastness by wetting the area and rubbing a bit if the detergent into the fabric, let sit for 5 minutes, and rinse.

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 19, 2020
😷
🐰
🐛
👒
🌻