Too Many Birds In Maple Trees

This request is for some friends of mine. Within the past month or so, they have had a LOT of birds come live in the two maple trees in their backyard. There are other trees, but the birds seem to only congregate in the maples. There are so many birds in their backyard trees that they cannot enjoy their backyard. The birds poop everywhere. There are so many birds you can smell them. Why are there so many birds, and what can they do to get rid of them?

Allison from TN

Best Answer

This is what my father did

He bought a bunch of pop gun ammo, then using a hammer, laid out a couple on the sidewalk and smashed a few. This went on every evening when it was loudest, for about a week or two. Eventually they stopped dropping by our tree.

Then next year, we had fewer birds. I guess the word got around not to stop off at our residence. We only used the pop caps a few times and it was all good after that.

Best Answer

If you can get high enough into the tree with a ladder, hot-glue 2 CDs together, blank sides facing outward. Tie them from several limbs with fishing line. They'll sway in the breeze and reflect sunlight. It will serve a double purpose. The birds will be repelled, and it will be really pretty.

Best Answer

Go to Wal Mart or a Dollar store and buy several realistic looking rubber snakes. They're about $1 each. Drape them on several tree limbs in natural looking positions. Bet it will get their attention and they'll leave.

I have some absolutely obnoxious blue jays that try to take over my deck and bird feeder. I lay out two rubber snakes and they flip out, screeching and squawking and leave. After they're gone, I pick up my snakes and then the sweet timid birds get to eat!

Best Answer

Plastic Owl, should be able to find at good garden store.

Have not tried this but I heard it works. The pretty colored balls you see in birdbaths, I have seen them in red, gold, blue and silver. These are supposed to help keep birds away.

Good Luck!