Bag Your Own Groceries to Save Time at Home

I bag my own groceries. I put all the cold stuff together. Canned goods together. Bananas and fruit together, toothpaste and toilet paper together and so on. It's easier to put the groceries away when you get home. You use less bags. You can also bring your own bags. Some stores give credit for using returned grocery bags.

It's so frustrating getting home and dealing with all those nasty plastic bags that don't compost. I also use the plastic bags for trash bags. If you can't bag your own groceries put your items up on the counter in the order you would like them bagged and tell the clerk what you want done and why. They never seem to mind.

Source: I've been bagging my own groceries for years.

By Christine from Dover, DE

I love to bag my own groceries! I make my own canvas bags and know how much I can squeeze into them. I actually look for the cashiers without baggers, it just complicates things. Not to mention, how many times have you ripped your plastic bag on a box corner?

I don't worry about the bagging so much as I do what is being rung up. I pay too much attention to what the prices are and if my coupons are being deducted from the total. I never even thought about bagging my own to save time. Glad it works for you.

Three cheers for anyone who uses canvas bags! This is not a put-down on anyone because I know better and still forget my canvas bags and have to use the plastic ones to get my groceries home, but the more we can start to cut out these plastic bags, the better off we'll all be. You don't have to be a tree-hugger to realize that if these bags take up to 100 years to degrade and then don't really degrade, putting things into them that are perfectly capable of biodegrading is just plain irresponsible of us.

I like your idea of bagging similar things together. I tend to do that by putting them on the counter together.

One store I frequent requires the customer to bag the groceries. The bags (paper or plastic) are provided. Anyway, I do put my items out on the belt in grouped order. It makes it much easier then when I go to bag everything up. I always wait until my order is totally rung up before starting to bag because I like to keep an eye on the prices being rung up and to be sure my coupons are being deducted properly.

I love using my own totes, the problem I seem to have is the response I get from the clerks.I hate when they roll there eyes and give that "look". I try to bag my own as fast as possible, but when I do, without fail-I will pay full price for a sale item, or they don't deduct my coupons correctly. If they dont want you to use your own totes, why is every store selling them now ??

Groceries in Car Trunk
Transporting Groceries
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingMarch 9, 2009
A paper bag full of groceries
Storing Groceries
ice chest cooler
Keeping Groceries Cold
Golf Bag with Pool Cues in it
Uses for an Old Golf Bag
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans