Remedies for Skin Allergies

What are some good home remedies for severe skin allergies?

Tina from Georgia

Wash with a hypoallergenic cleanser like Cetaphil (cheap generic available at Wal-Mart), dry with a blow dryer set on 'cold' and smear a thin layer of Noxzema on area.

Use hypoallergenic clothes washing detergent on clothing, bedding, and towels. Dont use fabric softener.

Keep the skin dry. Be careful what you put on your skin as its usually the preservativs that people are allergic to. Use plain things like cornstarch for powder and vaseline for hand cream. BTW, cornstarch is great in the tub if your skin is itchy.

If skin allergies are severe, see your dermatologist. Maybe its not skin allergies.

With all allergies, avoidance of the offending substance is the best treatment. Avoid rubber (gloves) and elastics.

1. Identify and avoid the substance causing the allergy. This can be tricky. You can become allergic to a product you have used for years. Also, it may not be cosmetics, soaps, or perfume, it could be something you haven't thought of, like your laundry detergent or fabric softener, for example.

2. Use hydrocortisone cream on the affected area.

3. If this doesn't provide relief, see a dermatologist.

i've always believed in fixing from the inside out. how is your health otherwise? do you drink a lot of soda or coffee? check out the westonaprice.org website for health tips. or mercola.com.

both promote cod liver oil, high in vitamin a & d for a lot of health problems including rashes. good lcuk.

Watch out that they are not contact allergies - that is - you touch something & then touch your face and get an irritation. I have problems with that. (Avoid the irritant & wash your hands often.) Once you have an irritation cortisone cream will work - I also use calendula from the health food store for sensitive areas (even around the eyes!) Beware of counter-irritation. If the cortisone etc. dries out the skin too much, it will creat another irritation.To avoid that keep the skin well moisturized - use petroleum jelly or oil on the affected area - Whan all else fails around my eyes, I use cold TEA compresses. sometimes it's the only thing that helps. Avoid perfumed products, as in above posts - stop using your makeup products and switch to hypoallergenic brands. I can't wear eye shadow much anymore because I have developed an allergy to it. Use bland soaps, such as Basic or Neutrogena - avoid harsh deodorant soaps, as they are too drying. If that fails - you should see an allergist who can test you for your sensitivities. But it's mostly detective work as to what is causing it - Dander from you pets? (I am allergic to dog hair, etc.) A featherbed? Wool blankets? You can have used something for years and develop a sensitivity to it. Are you using a new product? (My husband wouldn't believe me when he developed a armpit rash - but the doctor & I agreed it was his new deodorant!) Benedryl will work in the short term,(I save it for when all else fails) but it makes you so sleepy, I can only take it at night! Good luck on your search! It's also true that keeping your immune system as srtong as possible helps with allergies, too. So work on your diet, take b complex and Vit. E. and other supplements. And eat as well as possible.

Health & Beauty AdviceJuly 20, 2006
Dog standing by food dish.
Does My Dog Have Food Allergies?
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
woman scratching patch of red irritated skin on back of hand
Treating Skin Rashes
🎄