Masking Ammonia Odor in Cleaners

I have made a window cleaner with Isopropyl alcohol, ammonia, water and essential oil but the ammonia's smell is very pungent. I don't know how to make the ammonia's odor subside. Can anyone help me out of this problem?

Raheel from Karachi, Pakistan

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Is there a way to use less ammonia or to substitute another ingredient in order to lessen the odor?

I mix equal amounts of water, isopropyl alcohol and vinegar and it is a great window cleaner, no smell and no streaking.

I would imagine that the essential oil leaves a greasy film on glass, causing streaking, and attracting dirt. The problem with ammonia is that is is quite volatile - it evaporates readily, and there is nothing you can do about that except try reducing the amount of ammonia in stages until it no longer works or no longer smells, whichever comes first.

Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Window CleanersFebruary 3, 2009
A bottle of window cleaner containing vinegar and cornstarch.
Cornstarch and Vinegar Window Cleaner Recipe
Cleaning Toilet With Ammonia
Cleaning With Ammonia
Uses for Masking Tape
Uses for Masking Tape
Masking Tape
Crafts Using Masking Tape
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 20, 2017 at 2:28:32 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.