Fresh Coconut Has Chemical Smell

Does anyone know why a coconut would smell something like a cleaning product when it is opened? I recently bought one. It is full of milk and white meat, but smells chemically.

By Doug S. from Galveston, TX

From what I have read if it smells like alcohol or looks yellow it is bad. Read up on this post that I came across. I am wondering if this is what you are experiencing. Hope this helps you out. I would be demanding a refund. Lol. :)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080525163618AAXrI1f

Sound to me like someone used too much or too strong of a pesticide on it. Some coconuts are grown only for making shampoos & cleaning products from & are not for eating! Maybe someone accidentally got one of these mixed up with the "eatable" ones!

* Years back, when I was a teenager, I told my mom the meat she bought at the Safeway grocery store & served for dinner tasted like chemicals & she didn't believe me (because I've always hated meat & now I'm a vegetarian). But, fortunately she worked for Safeway in the meat department & the next day when she went in to work she found out that they had sealed the floors in the meat warehouse the day before & that there had been many other calls complaining about the strange chemical taste & smell in their meat. Apparently it was from the fumes from the floor sealer! So trustyour taste buds & your nose!

Agree with the poster who already said to take that coconut back to where it came from. It's either gone bad, or was sitting on the delivery truck or the stockroom exposed to some type of chemical spill. If it doesn't pass the sniff test, doesn't pass your lips :)

Take it back, either sprayed with too much pesticide or is rotten.

I wouldn't eat it but look on the package and see if the product contains sulfates or sulfites to preserve the color. Many products contain these. I do not eat them because they can cause allergic reactions.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceMarch 10, 2010
Fresh coconuts.
Using Fresh Coconut
Coconut
Uses for Coconut Oil
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
A colorful stack of new clothing.
Removing Chemical Odors From New Clothing
🎉
🎄