Eggs in a Nest

This is a lean times meal. My children and I have been at times through very lean times, and this is what I often served up when the cupboard was almost bare.

Take 4 (or however many you need to feed your family) large, older potatoes. Wash them well but do not remove skins. Place them on a baking tray in the oven and cook till almost soft. Remove potatoes, when cool enough to handle, scoop some of the inside out to make a hollow. In each potato, break one egg (minus shell of course!) return to oven and cook till eggs have set.

This makes a nourishing meal, eggs are little protein packages, potatoes are good too. This meal is enjoyable even when your times aren't particularly lean!

By Ellie from Melbourne Australia

THIS SOUNDS INTERESTING. I'LL HAVE TO TRY IT

THANKS

I am going to try this too!! I have done a toad in the hole. It is an egg in the middle of a slice of toasted bread and fried in fry pan.

Sharon from Canada

That's my kind of food! We often did something similar. Instead of scooping out the center, we'd mash the spud and put whatever we had over the top of it. Some of the toppings we used were cheese, butter, broccoli, leftover minestrone, browned hamburger with garlic salt, etc. We still do it from time to time because it's soooo good! Nourishing, too.

I feel you. When my son and I lived alone and were penny living, a big bag of potatoes from Costco cost about $4, I would split it with a co-worker and we'd eat well for a couple of weeks. My son and I had many nights where we ate hashbrowns and fried eggs and baked potatoes with some beans and a little cheese if we were lucky. Your recipe sounds good, although I'd have to have some ketchup (from my hashbrown days, used to think it was gross until the ketchup mixed with the egg, mmmm).

what a great way to use up baked potatoes! i raise chickens for eggs. i'll try this tomorrow! thanks

in england toad in the hole is a sausage cooked in a dish of batter made from milk flour and egg whisked together and poured over the browned sausage then cooked till golden and crispy, if you used meatballs in the batter mix its called mole in a hole

carol

england

I LUV this! Now color me silly, but, what do you do with the potato you scoop out??

thanks

Oh, Golly Miss Molly..I completely forgot to add what you do with the scooped out bits of potato. Naturally don't waste them. They go on the side of the plate, with a little butter, pepper, salt.. or anything you like to add in the way of topping.

this very much sounds like my kind of food!! i love potatoes, eggs, simple foods in general. i have never thought of this although it seems like an obvious meal (and also i can add cheese and make it different every time). like the fact it is cheap and fairly healthy, too:)

Good idea. One question. How long until the egg is set after being put in the oven and what temperature?

I made this for dinner tonight. I change it a little and it was a hit. I chopped up 4 cooked sausage links, and half a small onion. (food chopper) I fried the scooped out potato, sausage, and onion together. When the potatoes and egg were done I gave each of them a scoop of the sausage mix. We are a family of five and everyone added different things on top of that like cheese, chopped tomato, sour cream. I still think this was a $7.00 meal. I'm not counting the sour cream or the cheese. I always have extra from other meals. You could even just add a spoon full of salsa on the potato and egg and give it another flavor.

Food and Recipes Recipes Cheap MealsFebruary 5, 2007
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
Bumble Bee on a flower.
Getting Rid of Underground Bumble Bee Nest
Removing a Yellow Jackets Nest
Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest
🎉
🎄