LaundryCleaning

Removing Hard Water Stains from Whites

I live in a town that has terrible water, to say the least! It is so hard that almost every time I do laundry I end up with rust spots on different items. For this, I keep a great product called "Whink" around. Works wonders! The problem I have, though, is getting my white items to be truly white again! They are so dingy! Does anyone have any suggestions? Bleach doesn't work and neither does Borax! HELP!Thanks in advance!

Robin from Washington, IA

Try hydrogen peroxide with cream of tartar. Test first in an inconspicuous area for strength. Works on ceramic tile or tub, might work on white clothing!

Try using hydrogen peroxide mixed with cream of tartar. This removes rust stains from the tub. Let stand 10 minutes and rinse. Test first on inconspicuous area.

There is a product made for use in water conditioning...something like "Rust out"...you can get it at hardward stores. It may not have the directions on the label but you mix it with hot water and soak your items with the rust on in the solution. Ask at Lowes or Home Depot if you have one where you live

Calgon makes a product for laundry for hard water.

It was good but expensive. White Vinegar works

GREAT and cheaply add 1 or 1/2 cup per load.

I have the same problem hard water. I use "Iron Out" found at Walmart, Kmart, etc. Its around $4.00 for a smaller size bottle. I add about 1/2 a cup to a large size load of whites. Add the iron out first and let the washer run its cycle for a few minutes, then add laundry detergent. Gets whites white again. Caution on using this on colors. It usually makes even old color dyes bleed out onto other fabrics.