Watch Labels for MSG

I recently discovered an insidious additive that almost all manufacturers are putting into foods, and I hope you all begin to watch for it. It is MSG (monosodium glutamate), and of course, we expect it to be in Asian foods.

However, it is in so many foods now that people may not know of, one needs to do a lot of reading if you want to keep your health.

Opponents call it "the food additive that excites the brain cells to death". At the end of this post, I will send you two links and you can read for yourself. Chips, soups, gravy mixes, chicken and sausage, dip mixes, a ton of spices, Parmesan products, most chip snacks, and the list goes on and on.

I had horrible head buzzing to the point where I thought I had a brain tumor. I did some research, and the only thing that explains all the symptoms is MSG. I was relieved more than you can imagine, and wanted to make sure my friends out there had the same info.

So, read the labels, and the links and you won't be sorry. I hope this helps even one person, as that would make it worth it.

Source: My own research.

By Poor But Proud from Yorktown, VA

Several years ago it became legal to call MSG "flavor inhancers) so if you see that be suspicious.

MSG generally is only harmful to people who have allergies to it. Side effects like you're speaking of occur if 3 grams or more per meal exist but it's definitely good to check out and know MSG content! You should even ask restaurants how much MSG is in any item you're considering ordering.

Here's another link to check out:

Thanks for sharing the warning for those who might not be aware :-)

I recently discovered I was very sensitive to MSG. They make me flush in a most painful sort of way, my ears blisters and my eyes now have begun to swell. Consequently I found out the hard way April of last year that I had numerous food allergies . The kind that cause anaphelactic(sp?) reactions. MSG is hidden under MANY different names. If you are unsure. Don't buy it!

July 1, 2011 Flag

For most of my 56 years, I have been having a myriad of symptoms, most of them neurological in nature. They range from night sweats to migraines, muscle and joint pain to heart palpitations. And I thought Parkinson's was enough to bear.

But, I have known for a while that the food additives we are (often) unknowingly consuming have had an effect on us. It wasn't until today that I knew how much.

I got up and started reading the labels of the food I had in my house. Instant potatoes, soup, dips, chips, canned veggies, gravy mixes, the list is insidious!

MSG is known as an "excitotoxin" which means it is designed to "excite the brain cells to death". Aspartame is pretty much the same, but doesn't have the gluten that so many people have trouble with.

MSG has now been linked to certain types of autism, lupus, diabetes, fibromialgia, asthmatic related episodes, and more, as you read the links I am including.

I saw a slogan the other day that says "It's easier to be well then get well." That is my new mantra.

If this helps even a few of us be healthier, and feed our kids better, then it was worth getting it out to all you fun, friendly, and frugal folks!

By Poor but Proud from Salem, OR

Amen to you! This stuff should be taken off the market. Some people are not bothered by it but some are and do not realize that it is making them sick. The really sad part is that many people feed it to their children who cannot make the choice.

Yes, we are all going to die...sayeth the unnamed poster.

So, doesn't that mean that how we live and how we feel during that life should matter even more? I mean, even some insects who don't know they will only live a day or a week enjoy the time they have!

My mother died of lung cancer after smoking for 55 years. Once she got the prognosis on her time left, she and others like her, decided to keep smoking with the selfish attitude of "what harm can it do now"?

Had she stopped in her 30's or 40's, she might still be with me and would have saved thousands of dollars while also not harming me and the other people around her with second hand smoke. And before the smokers chime in with "we didn't know about second hand smoke then...", I agree. We didn't. But when your daughter is always sick with respiratory problems, you might have at least stepped outside.

However, I digress. This post was meant to help people who are still alive and who still care about their health and the health of their families. Period.

First and formost, I am sorry to hear that along with already having been diagnosed with Diabetes a year or so ago that you now also have been diagnosed with Parkinsons, Sandi.

As for MSG, everything in moderation unless you happen to be one who is allergic to glutamate. I don't know anything about aspartame because I've never eaten diet type foods or drank diet beverages so didn't find the need to check it out. Now back to MSG.

MSG is made using a fermentation process. Many common foods such as yogurt, beer, vinegar and soy sauce are produced by fermentation. The glutamate found in MSG is the same as the glutamate that naturally occurs in many foods according to authorities such as the American Medical Association (AMA) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). In addition, our bodies metabolize, or break down, the two sources of glutamate in exactly the same way. To the human body, glutamate is glutamate no matter what the source.

As for your mother smoking, why was that so selfish of her to not quit after having been diagnosed with irreversible lung cancer? It was her body and her life. What is any more selfish about her continuing until her last breath than anyone else continuing doing things that harm themselves that they know they shouldn't? Every single one of us are guilty of that in one way or another.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the information so that others can do some homework of their own and decide what's best for themselves. :-)

Wow those are some useful websites, thank you for sharing, I too avoid eating msg due to migraine triggers, but the list didn't stop there, that is so scary.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceJanuary 13, 2010
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch