Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker

You can easily keep the salt from clumping in the shaker. This is a guide about keeping salt from clumping in the shaker.

Filter Sort

Tip: Keeping Salt From Clumping

By Marty Dick 167 967

A jar of salt in a Smuckers jelly jar.When I first moved to Houston in the early 80s, I learned about Houston's legendary humidity. I also learned that what it said on the Morton's salt box about "When it rains it pours" wasn't true. Raining or not, salt doesn't pour easily in Houston.

I took an empty Smucker's grape jelly jar and poured it full of salt, then cut off the portion of the label which read "iodized salt" and scotch taped it in place. The purple gingham checked lid makes it look nice and my salt never gets clumpy and hard. All this happened in 1982 and my salt jar is still sitting on my counter. At the time I did this, Smucker's only put the company name on the jar label and the lid was solid gingham checks making it more attractive to reuse their jars.

By Marty from Houston, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keeping Salt from Clumping in the Shaker

By Ellen 10 5

To prevent salt from clogging with moisture, I put 1/4 teaspoon of dried parsley leaves into the salt shaker. I then add the salt. It works every time.

Don't throw away a hard box of salt. Beat it with a hammer. It can be used in the winter for melting ice. Add it to a bag of salt for melting ice.

Source: I got it from experimenting.

By Ellen Lou S. from Knoxville, TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rice In Salt Shakers

Keeping Salt Running Free... To keep salt from drawing moisture and hardening into chunks put a few grains of rice in the bottoms of the salt shaker. Works great!

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Add Toothpicks to Salt Shaker

By Diana Sue M. 5 17

To keep salt from caking in your salt shaker, put a few toothpicks in. You will never have to tap your salt shaker again before using.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Add Rice To Avoid Clumping in Shakers

By mamacrafter 45 30

When your salt shaker doesn't want to work for you, you can solve the problem by adding dry rice in with the salt. This way your salt won't ball up in little balls. I always put rice in the shaker every time I refill it up.

By mamacrafter from TN

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Rice to Prevent Lumps in Salt Shaker

By Diana L. Berger A. 5 1

I add a few pieces of UNCOOKED rice to my salt shaker. You will never get clumps again!

Source: my mom

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

salt shaker
      Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsApril 4, 2013
      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
      old dog
      Treating White Dog Shaker Syndrome
      Sugar Shaker
      Making a Sugar Shaker
      Coffee Break Shaker Card
      Making Shaker Cards
      glass laying on table
      Cleaning a Corroded Salt Shaker
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 11:17:31 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 868 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutions
      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost CommentsFewest CommentsRelevance
      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings