Cleaning a Corroded Salt Shaker

Category Metal
glass laying on table
Salt can be quite corrosive on the metal shaker top. This is a guide about cleaning a corroded salt shaker.

What do you use to clean corroded salt shakers?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Answer depends upon what the shakers are made from.

To clean sterling or plate shaker tops that have been corroded with salt, pour a small amount of ammonia into a little covered container and drop the tops in. Wait about 5 minutes or so and check them - if they aren't clean, continue to soak checking in 5 minute intervals. If they aren't significantly less corroded at the 30 minute mark, either toss them or call an expert (check for one at larger antique stores).

Anonymous

Silver

How do I get the top of a silver salt shaker off? It appears to have corroded. It is several decades old. Thanks.

Here is a suggestion from a ThriftyFun guide:

http://www.thri  lt-Shaker-1.html

Anonymous

Oh, I've got a ton of thoughts on this - one of them ought to work. FIRST, when you are trying to twist the lid off put on those yellow rubbery kitchen cleaning gloves. I don't think you'll get a better grip. BUT, before all the twisting, here are some thoughts - none of them should cause a bit of damage. 1. Soak the salt shaker silver side-down in WARM - not hot, water. Every hour or so see if the water melted the salt and has allowed for removal. 2. I'm a great fan of WD-40 or its cousin, Wrench-Free. A little spritz and some patience might just do the job. 3. Hey, how about some Lime-Away? A friend used it for a very similar issue and in minutes, the problem was fixed. 4. One more for fun - again, tip the salt shaker upside down in a small container, add some white vinegar and then a bit of baking soda - just try to find someone who doesn't like all those fizzies. I wish you the best and am sure that top will come off!

You could try universal grease

Try placing under very hot tap water for a couple of minutes and try to turn. If no, then try second time as this can be effective.

There are many, many suggestions and I feel sure that at some point most of them worked. Take your pick until one works for you. It may make a difference if it is sterling silver or silver plate - not sure about that..

Here are some suggestions I have read or heard over time.

Lime Away and soak - cover the salt shaker with baking soda and then pour vinegar over it - ammonia (fumes -careful with this) - soak for a day or so in olive oil (probably the safest) - WD40 (not for me) - Polident (dentures) - tooth paste

How can I clean a chrome salt shaker that is corroded by salt (green tarnish)?

Knedynixon from Chico, CA

Method Two

Step

1

Fold up a piece of aluminum foil and submerge it in Coca-Cola.

Step

2

Using gentle back-and-forth motions, gently rub the rusty areas with the Coke-soaked aluminum foil.

Step

3

After the rust is gone, wipe down the area with a wet rag and pat dry. Then, polish the area with a chrome polish cloth.

http://www.ehow  from-chrome.html

Dibbs, thank you so much. After using for many years, six of those little cheapy salt shakers (that I like to place at each setting for nice dinners), they had become too corroded to open. They are about 1" square with chrome tops. Before I threw them away and replaced them, I tried a version of your remedy:

In desperation, after trying WD-40 and a hot soapy soak, I put the little shakers, remaining salt and all, into a glass bowl and poured a can of coca cola over the whole mess...watched the brew fizz awhile and walked away for about an hour. When I tried to open them, voila! I still needed to use a plier, but they not only budged but opened.

I then used the aluminum foil remedy on the insides of the chrome tops. Then I submerged the tops in some new coke (more fizz) and although they are discolored on the insides where all the green corrosion was, they are now serviceable.

I'm going to exchange the still good tops on the pepper shakers - put them on the salt shakers. Then I will put some rice (I now live in a more humid climate) in with the new salt and see how the tops do over time.

These weren't expensive, but I really liked solving the problem with your help. I know the problem wouldn't happen if I just emptied out the salt every time, but I'm just too lazy to do that.

Many thanks for the "empowerment"!

I'm glad I'm not the only CA girl who is now in the south and learning about things like corroded salt shakers!