Opening a Corroded Silver Salt Shaker

How do I get the top of a silver salt shaker off? It appears to have corroded. It is several decades old. Thanks.

Here is a suggestion from a ThriftyFun guide:

To clean sterling or plate shaker tops that have been corroded with salt, pour a small amount of ammonia into a little covered container and drop the tops in. Wait about 5 minutes or so and check them - if they aren't clean, continue to soak checking in 5 minute intervals. If they aren't significantly less corroded at the 30 minute mark, either toss them or call an expert (check for one at larger antique stores).

http://www.thri  lt-Shaker-1.html

Anonymous

Oh, I've got a ton of thoughts on this - one of them ought to work. FIRST, when you are trying to twist the lid off put on those yellow rubbery kitchen cleaning gloves. I don't think you'll get a better grip. BUT, before all the twisting, here are some thoughts - none of them should cause a bit of damage. 1. Soak the salt shaker silver side-down in WARM - not hot, water. Every hour or so see if the water melted the salt and has allowed for removal.

2. I'm a great fan of WD-40 or its cousin, Wrench-Free. A little spritz and some patience might just do the job. 3. Hey, how about some Lime-Away? A friend used it for a very similar issue and in minutes, the problem was fixed. 4. One more for fun - again, tip the salt shaker upside down in a small container, add some white vinegar and then a bit of baking soda - just try to find someone who doesn't like all those fizzies. I wish you the best and am sure that top will come off!

You could try universal grease

Try placing under very hot tap water for a couple of minutes and try to turn. If no, then try second time as this can be effective.

There are many, many suggestions and I feel sure that at some point most of them worked. Take your pick until one works for you. It may make a difference if it is sterling silver or silver plate - not sure about that..

Here are some suggestions I have read or heard over time.

Lime Away and soak - cover the salt shaker with baking soda and then pour vinegar over it - ammonia (fumes -careful with this) - soak for a day or so in olive oil (probably the safest) - WD40 (not for me) - Polident (dentures) - tooth paste