Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Natural Shampoo and Conditioner for Color Treated Hair

What is a good homemade recipe for an after-coloring deep conditioner for hair? I regularly highlight my own hair, but I don't want to keep buying the salon conditioners for after color treatment. Any ideas?

By Carriebethb from Flushing, MI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Vera M.09/17/2013

According to Lisa Bonner, of Dr Bonners Castile soaps, Dr Bonner's castile soaps can NOT be used on color treated hair. She states many times on her blog that this will definitely remove the color and is not to be used on color treated hair.

By SarahB12/20/2011

I have the same question. But I have read that a Castille soap like Dr. Bronners will strip color from colored hair. Is this not true? Please tell me, because I have some but am afraid to use it for hair, since my hair is high-lighted.

By Beth [25]09/24/2009

I use peppermint castile soap to wash my hair and body when I go camping to keep bugs away. It's biodegradable and a little bit does go a long way!

By stefani wagoner09/23/2009

I know you are looking for homemade, but here is an alternative. Dr. Bronner's casteel soaps are mild and concentrated. I also color my hair; red color, (and red is the fastest to fade), and I have had no problems with this stuff. There are different kinds, but I like the peppermint. It gives a little tingle on the scalp. You only use a very small amount so it lasts a long time. You can use the soap as body wash, shampoo, and to clean. I also use it in my garden as a natural insect spray on my plants. I love this stuff. I can find it at CVS, but here is a link to the store if you can't find it. http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SFNT.htm
I pay about $15 for a large (16oz) bottle of it, and like I said, it is concentrated and has many uses. I also use on my dogs. Hope this helps.

By stefani wagoner09/23/2009

I pay about $15 for a large (16 oz) bottle of it, and like I said, it is concentrated and has many uses. I also use on my dogs. Hope this helps.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Natural Shampoo and Conditioner for Color Treated Hair

Does anyone have a great recipe for homemade, all natural shampoo and conditioner that is kind to color-treated or highlighted hair? I want to make my own shampoo and conditioner, but most recipes do not mention chemically treated hair. I realize the contradiction/irony, but I haven't done so well trying to use natural homemade color treatments so I still go to the salon.

Thanks,
Newbie

RE: Homemade Natural Shampoo and Conditioner for Color Treat

Go to the website http://www.bestincosmetics.com. There you will find many recipes for natural home made beauty products. (08/26/2005)

By Holly

RE: Homemade Natural Shampoo and Conditioner for Color Treated Hair

Dish soap and water will work with a little vinegar (08/26/2005)

By nanny.

I've just posted a recipe for soap wort shampoo somewhere else on this website. (09/13/2005)

By ecoangel

This has good recipes - http://www.ultimate-cosmetics.com/beauty/homemade-recipes/homemade-shampoos.htm (01/31/2006)

By Farewell