Help with Lower Back Pain

I have lower back pain from the work that I do. Is there anything to help?

Josh from Henderson, TN

I use two tablets of Doan's Extra Strength Medicine before I begin to do weedeating or any lengthy chore that causes my back to ache.

Your condition sounds like repetitive use that probably requires a doctor's care. A good back brace might be of some help to you or a hinderance depending on what the doctor says.

There are ice pack and heat treatments, but I wouldn't do any of these things until after seeing a doctor. Other things not mentioned or known could be the cause of your pain.

If you go to a chiropractor, they can give you exercises to do to increase the strength in your back. Usually if you strengthen your stomach muscles, your back improves. Try a chiro and see how you feel.

A 70% waveless waterbed is my only help. I've used it for 24 yrs & would never give it up.

Make sure you have good supportive shoes. Talk to a physical or occupational therapist for some advise.

First move -- see a chiropractor. If a reputable chiropractor can not help you, he will tell you to see the doctor, or an occupational therapist. There may be things you can do lessen the strain on your back on the job.

Buy the best lace up type shoes you can afford. Find one with good arches, etc. You will be surprised at how this effects your lower back and how much better you feel. Always wear good shoes. Dont go barefoot or wear bedroom slippers for extended periods of time.

Good luck

We used to live with someone who had an "Inverter"... It's this cool thing you lean against (while standing then have someone Velcro your ankles in, then you slowly turn yourself upside down... It was the BEST!... Really!... It's just like "traction"... Works wonders for back pain. But pricey... Maybe you could find one on Craig's List, used.

OR: as a second option. Last winter, I was picking up a case of water at the store & moved totally the wrong way & twisted my back out SOOO badly, I couldn't walk for days!... Well, I remembered that Inverter (I really wish we'd bought it from her!) Anyway, I have a double bed (I think they now call this size bed "Full") and I laid across the bed horizontally (sideways, because I have a footboard & couldn't face toward the bottom of the bed) with my feet across the bed toward the wall & my back facing the ceiling & the top of my head pointing towards the floor. I held on to the sheets with my hands (so I wouldn't fall off the bed)....then VERY SLOWLY....I'd let my upper torso slowly INCH toward the floor... *** The main Key is to RELAX the WHOLE TIME, as you are slowly moving your torso down toward the floor!!! Stop moving when your back stops hurting you'll know you're in the right position... or it will "hurt-so-good", (not hurt bad, kind of like a slight tug that feels much better than it did only minutes before) You'll know it when you find the right position! STAY TOTALLY RELAXED! & stay in that "good feeling" position for 5 or 10 minutes if you can (it's hard to stay upside down for very long)

*** IMPORTANT: When you decide to get up from being upside down, You'll have to slowly tighten your back muscles again so you can move: Do it SLOWLY & carefully!... And, if your a "Larger" type person, have someone there to help you get up from hanging upside down because if you're not careful you could make your back worse! .... USE CARE & listen to your body! (If you have the money, buy the Inverter instead of doing this!)

Doing this "upside-down traction" took all the pressure off my spine & would TOTALLY ease the pain temporarily while I was in the right position. I did this to ease my back pain about 4 or 5 times a day for about a week, when one time I decided to slowly twist my twisted back, back the other way... & so I slowly twisted my back into the right position while I was upside-down & my spine was pulled apart... Well, Guess what!?... My back snapped back into place!... It took several days for it to heal, & I had to tread carefully but finally it was back the way it was before I twisted it out!

Be sure to keep your back straight when you do this & don't twist, unless you alreadly have a "twisted back" that needs "un-twisted" like I did... Then use care & do it SLOWLY!

* Before doing any traction, I'd recommend taking a hot bath for at least 20 min... as this will relax your muscles. If you can't do that, then lay on a heating pad for 20 minutes before doing the "traction" thing I described above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* PS I looked on the internet for an inverter for you... Couldn't find one, but would recommend calling a "Medical Supply" in the yellow pages. Also, recently I saw a commercial for an Inverter on TV.

* Also, think about doing the Palettes type of Yoga. This REALLY helped my 72 yo mom after back surgery!

Get yourself to a yoga class and if you can't find one purchase a yoga tape for lower back. I had the same problem from an accident to where it was painful to walk and ever since I have practiced yoga I don't have as much pain. Also you may want to look into getting a memory foam mattress. Make sure it is double sided and at least 10". There are some real cheap mattresses out there but they only have one side so you can't flip them and you really need the thickness for comfort and support.

Vicks vapo rub now comes in a tube and is greaseless. Rub a dab in the painful area. It still has the strong smell ,but Vicks also has a "Baby Rub" ( blue jar with PINK lid)that has lavender/rosemarie and aloe vera in it and isn't as strong a fragrance. You can also put ice packs on the painful area for 15 minutes then hot packs for 15 minutes. GG Vi

Forgive an old lady , I forgot to tell you to lay on the floor with your legs up on the couch,scoot up to the couch so your knees are bent and you will feel relief across your low back.

The best help for my back is a "Thermafore." Buy the biggest one you can find at the drug store or a medical supply place. Mine nearly covers my whole back. Hubby uses it on his shoulder too.It is NOT a regular heating pad.Also if you can at your job, put one foot up on a short foot stool. AND If you haven't been to a DR.yet GO there first!

Good Luck, Great Granny Vi

Young man holding his lower back.
Remedies For Lower Back Pain
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 2, 2008
Man holding lower back in pain
Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Relieving Pain from Bone Spurs
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
Using acupressure on a foot.
Using Acupressure for Foot Pain
🎉
🎄