Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Category Home Remedies
Man holding lower back in pain
A pinched nerve in the lower back is responsible for sciatic nerve pain which can be felt all the way down to your feet. This is a guide about remedies for sciatic nerve pain.

My father has been suffering from sciatica for the last three months. A month ago he underwent a surgery and after surgery he is still feeling pain and numbness in his left leg. Any medications that the doctor has prescribed for him do not seem to have any positive effect. Can you please help find a solution to relieve sciatica pain?

Mohammad

Best Answer

I have been suffering from sciatic nerve pain and by the dictionary it involves the central nervous system weight, injury like slip and falls, alcohol, epson salt, and an extensive allergy to insecticides increased my pain. I am looking forward to several weekly visits to the chiropractor. I feel that if I lose weight and walk and ride my bike daily to rid myself of the associated stiffness then this may help and also help me to firm up my muscles and lose those unwanted pounds.

I know that I walked for several weeks and the pain lessened I did not even notice it anymore just short sprints of 5 to 6 short walks a day. And bike riding 4 to 6 times a week. The muscles need to be used and sedetary positions such as sitting and even sleeping aggravates my pain. Once I am up and on my feet I feel better. It is sort of a stiffness so I tried Arthritis Pain Reliever I figured the pain was like bursitis.

Good Luck and let the Holy Spirit bless u all. I really have no actual support everyone tells me they are in pain to and they just deal with it. Well my tolerance for this pain is just not there. I pray everyone's strength in the Lord and deliverance from this menacing disease. Blessings to all.

Best Answer

This is an exercise I do for pain in butt, down leg to ankle. If floor is too hard try laying on your bed, do this just before sleep so it rest through the night. Lie on your back raise right knee, press to chest gently but firm, then lower and do the other leg same way, then lower, now bring both knees up and press to the chest. Do each night till you get relief. Hope this helps it does me. Since 1997 when it flares up, which it does off and on.

Best Answer

I would have intense tightness in my lower back when playing tennis. It would fell like two rubber bands being wound up. I saw a foot doctor at a State Fair exhibit and he told me it was sciatic nerve pain and to put these orthopedics in my shoes. The pain instantly went away. I immediately got fitted for orthopedics and was pain free until my orthopedics started wearing out. I suggest to try this. It's much cheaper than surgery or physical therapy!

My husband is 35 and is having terrible sciatic nerve pain. He's been to numerous doctors, but they just give him pain killers that don't seem to work. This has been going on for nearly 4 months! Any ideas for home or herbal remedies? We'll try just about anything.

Thanks!
Trashash from TX

Answers:

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

See if a chiropractor can help, it certainly did for me. (03/10/2006)

By Chris

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

A good massage therapist will do wonders too! (03/10/2006)

By Nancy80501

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

It may not be sciatic nerve, but a related syndrome with the same symptoms as sciatica. I had the same problem but after a great deal of research, I came across info on the internet that helped within a few days. As long as I keep it up I am fine. Do a google search on piriformis stretch.

(03/10/2006)

By Rene

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I would highly recommend going to a chiropractor also. I have sciatica too, but usually my whole back would go out before too long. I can't imagine living with it for four months, your poor hubby!

Check to see if your insurance provider covers chiropractics. When I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield they covered it just like a regular doctor's visit. (03/10/2006)

By wendiesioux

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am a chiropractic assistant and have seen wonders with this problem. Don't worry about your insurance. I know a lot don't cover squat for chiropractors. I work in a mostly cash practice. We are very reasonable and only adjust your subluxations. No therapy, no costly extra stuff. Try to find someone to address this problem. My husband works in a physical therapy part of a major hospital and that doesn't work as well as chiropractic. Good Luck! (03/10/2006)

By peachynptc

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I would suggest going to an osteopathic physician (not a chiropractor) who specialized in osteopathic manipulative medicine. I used to have severe sacroiilitis and with the combination of manipulation and epidural injections and specific exercises I have not had an episode in 5 years. If you need the name of a DO near or around you, e-mail and I will find one for you. I work for two osteopathic physicians and trust me, it works.

Dachie311 @ wmconnect.com (remove spaces) (03/10/2006)

By Pamm from Oklahoma

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

It's good that you and your husband don't take pain lightly - it is a signal from your body. What kinds of tests have the doctors done for your husband? My brother had lower back pain and sciatica, and it wasn't until the doctor ordered an MRI that a malignant lesion on his spine was detected. Surgery went very well, he is in full remission. I don't mean to make you hit the panic button, but you don't want to let any stone go unturned. (03/10/2006)

By Alice

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Try a TENS machine, (as long as he doesn't have a pace maker) which I wouldn't think so for his age.
It helps to block the pain signals to the brain. It won't solve the problem, but will give some pain relief. Other than that, I use magnets. (03/10/2006)

By wendy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Typical sciatica treatments. Nerve pain is caused by a combination of pressure and inflammation on the nerve root, and treatment is centered on relieving both of these factors. Typical sciatica treatments include:

Manual treatments for sciatica, including physical therapy and specific stretching and strengthening exercises, and manual manipulation (e.g. osteopathic or chiropractic manipulation) to help relieve the pressure on the nerve root, which is the cause of the pain.

Medical treatments for sciatica, including medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), oral steroids, or epidural steroid injections to help relieve the inflammation, which is usually a component of the pain.

Surgery for sciatica, such as microdiscectomy or lumbar laminectomy and discectomy, to remove the portion of the disc that is irritating the nerve root. This surgery is designed to help relieve both the pressure and inflammation and may be warranted if the sciatic nerve pain is severe and has not been relieved with appropriate manual or medical treatments.
Forget the chiropractor they can make the problem worse.

(03/11/2006)

By Dean

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I started having sciatica when I was 18 and am now 53! It has mostly been in my legs. Mostly I have suffered all these many years and taken OTC meds. It is an inflammation of the sciatic nerve so an anti-inflammatory seems to work the best. I worried about taking ibuprofen too much, so switched to Tylenol. I saw a neurologist some years back and had an MRI and x-rays. Now I know I have a slightly bulging disc, but it is minor and does not require surgery.

The neurologist said I should exercise and lose weight, easier said than done. I was thin and young when I first noticed the pain, then was told it was because of my job of being a secretary and sitting. My sciatic nerves run directly under bones in my buttocks so it would get inflamed. About 2 or so years ago, I started taking coral calcium and it has made a tremendous difference. I am not cured, but have very little sciatic pain like I used to.

Go online and read up about it, or any calcium probably will help because it helps nerves. I sometimes switch off and take calcium w/magnesium. Do not take coral calcium if you have a fish allergy. Always check with your doctor. Also, something else I take is flax seed oil capsules. Flax seed is good for a lot of things, but one of the benefits is it's an anti-inflammatory. I had chronic pain previously for many years and now I'm so much better, it's almost like a miracle! (03/11/2006)

By Debbie52

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I experienced daily sciatic nerve pain from age 25 to age 44. An MD told me to go to a chiropractor and I did. I probably paid about $1000 over the course of the year I saw him, as insurance does not cover this. But it was worth every penny. The pain has not returned and I feel great. The money is paid per visit and is not that hard to part with when you start to feel good again. I started to feel good after about 5 visits but I kept all of my other appointments during the year. $1000 to rid myself of nearly 20 years of pain is not expensive! (03/11/2006)

By Mary

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am sorry to hear that your husband is in so much pain. I have been suffering from sciatic pain (left leg from buttocks through toes) since 1999, so I know it can be bad. I have used aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, and, finally, Aleve, because I would wake up so much.

One day I was talking to a friend about all of this and she confided that she too suffers from sciatica. Her doctor told her to lie on her stomach and then slowly tense all the muscles in both legs, then release slowly. Repeat as many times as necessary, usually 5 minutes is enough. I could not believe it, but this simple exercise completely took away the pain.

Now, every time I feel the pain coming on, I get on my stomach. This could be done on the floor in his office, if necessary. If at home, obviously the bed or carpeted floor is best.

Try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Best of all, no risk!

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
Anjeena (03/11/2006)

By Anjeena

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

If you look in your yellow pages, sometimes there is a complimentary visit coupon in the coupon section. They tend to do this because more than likely you will come back, and ask around for recommendations. My hubby's dad had a bad experience and never went back, so my DH doesn't believe. I went to one for minor scoliosis treatment when I was 12, and stayed a regular customer for 6 years after injuries to my pelvis and back. She helped me to keep up growing and work through my teen years! (03/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have the same thing from a lack of gel between the discs, with nerve damage. I am taking a drug called Neurontin, and it is the first time in 20 years that I have slept through the night without taking over the counter, or Darvocet for the pain. Ask your doctor and see if it is for you, good luck to you. No one knows how bad back pain is, until they have it. I hope you get some relief soon.
Lee from OH (03/12/2006)

By jwrh626

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have nerve pain left over from shingles several years ago. My doctor started me on a new medicine called Lyrica. It really does help. You can find more info at www.lyrica.com.
(03/12/2006)

By Marlene

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Can anyone help me with suggestions with my wife's sciatic nerve pain? She has been teaching aerobics for several years and we are wanting to find out if a natural way of curing this problem is out there, ie, certain exercises, etc. Please let us know. Thanks. (03/31/2006)

By Kent

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Try the chiropractor. I injured my back during the deliveries of both my sons. I delivered both of them laying on my left side and caused an injury in my lowback/sacroilliac area. When this area goes out, I also suffer from sciatic pain. Better to try this than to do damage to your liver from too many medications or going the route of surgery. The M.D. I chose for my family (including labor and delivery), I chose because his wife was a patient of a chiropractor. Not every M.D. is against chiropractors. (04/07/2006)

By brizaksmommy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Yes, for all of your sciatica nerve pain. Pain in the back, thigh, calf, even down through the foot. Please trust me, I am a user of this natural med. www.backreliefelite.com, order a bottle and give it a try. I did, and was very happy with the solution. (04/21/2006)

By Jeremy

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

As a chiropractor for years, I can say that most sciatic pain will respond to joint manipulation, as long as it is not from a disc lesion. Disc problems can be ruled out by a painless MRI scan. However, 80% of people that don't have pain have finding on MRI. Most sciatic pain is caused by SI joint problems or piiformis muscle syndrome. A good chiropractor can diagnose the problem and you will get well quickly. Also, some home stretch and heat/ice of the piformis muscle. I have not seen you, therefore I do not know where your sciatica is coming from. You need a good work up to get the proper treatment.

CK from TX (04/29/2006)

By drchask

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I suffered sciatica for 28 days. I took medicines, no injections, as was suffering from hypertension & diabetes. Got a lot of relief from rubbing eucalyptus oil and using ice blocks. Also, found relief from putting on an LS Belt with traction. What was more vital, which cured me, was to exercise patience with bed rest. (11/28/2006)

By sdg5569

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

He needs to go to a chiropractor. I am a massage therapist at a chiropractor's office, and we treat many cases of sciatica through massage and different types of therapy. (07/07/2007)

By Willow

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

Good luck. Most chiropractors want to put you on a "treatment" program which costs about $4,000.00 for 6-8 weeks. I've heard that decompression treatments help, but you usually can't get that without the program. I bought an inversion table (same principle), and am just going to try and pull the disc back out using this. It's a lot cheaper anyway, lol. (11/06/2007)

By

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I am so surprised that nobody mentions the beautiful vitamin B which helps so much for neuropatic problems, and even more with sciatic problems!

Just buy the very cheap Vit B12, 500mg (Twinlab for example)
Put 1 pill under your tongue, twice a day and tell me if after that you don't feel better! (04/10/2008)

By Isabelle\

Remedies for Sciatic Nerve Pain

I have been suffering from sciatic nerve pain for a little over a year. At times, the pain is unbearable. I feel like I have a hot knife running down the back of my leg. I have had 2 MRI's that confirm I have a bulging disc L5. I have also undergone 30 treatments of spinal decompression and I still have no relief. Thanks for all the tips, I think I am going to try the vitamin B12, coral calcium, and flax seed and the stretch where you lay on your stomach and tense the legs. At this point I have given up on all chiropractors and doctors. I also tried Super Sciatica Relief, it did not help one bit, neither did oral steroids. I also had an infection of muscle relaxers, it made me so sick and gave no relief. I will let you know if any of this works. I am at the end of my rope. I am trying to avoid surgery at all costs. (07/16/2008)

By Felicia