Remedies for Knee Pain

Category Home Remedies
There are a number of home remedies and medical ones that can help alleviate joint pain in your knees. Check with your doctor if persistent or extremely painful and try some rest and heat in the short term. This is a guide about remedies for knee pain.

I have over 300 pounds to lose, so it's no wonder my knees ache. But about a month ago they started hurting so badly I could hardly walk. I know I overused them at work one day and then the pain gradually got worse. I can barely stand after sitting for even ten minutes. It hurts to stand for long periods. Basically the only relief I get is from sleeping on my stomach. I guess the compression of the mattress and my leg weight helps? Anyway, I need a way to decrease my pain until I can lose more weight. If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm already taking 600mg of ibuprofen a day and trying to walk at least around my complex daily.

Answers

Best Answer

Being overweight causes so many problems but hopefully you are on a good weight loss program. Be sure your doctor checks for under-active thyroid as well as arthritis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis so he will know what may be causing some of your problems other than just your weight.

This is what my doctor recommended for shoulder pain but will help with any type of joint pain.
Do use "RICE." Rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) is good for shoulder or knee pain caused by a minor injury or an arthritis flare. Give your knee some rest, apply ice to reduce swelling (20 minutes), wear a compression bandage or soft knee brace, and keep your knee elevated.

Also you may want to consider using corticosteroids, which can be used up to 2 or 3 times a year to relieve severe pain, and hyaluronic acid, which can help replenish lubricating substances in the knee. You would have to talk to your doctor about these treatments.
Now some people may laugh, but I found that horse liniment helped my pain more than any other medication or rub. Just be sure to choose a horse liniment labeled as safe for human use. Read the ingredients - NO DMSO as it is not for human use to treat muscle and joint pain, and it may be dangerous. I use Absorbine horse liniment as they make a human version.

Here is an excellent web site that has a lot of suggestions about knee pain:

www.webmd.com/.../knee-pain-dos-and-donts#1

Best Answer

Wow! Thanks for all of this! I will absolutely look into all of these. I am willing to try just about anything at this point because of the pain. What worries me is that my knees have only been hurting this badly for about five weeks or so. Before that, the pain was not even a fourth as intense. I think I hurt the right knee at work, then relied more on my left leg. This caused both to hurt and never stop. I had an x-ray yesterday, so I'll see what the doc says and go from there.

I did have three cortisone shots about a decade ago, in about a two-year period. I pulled my rotator cuff at work and fell down the steps and hurt my back. All three shots were given in the tush and alleviated most of my pain. I still have small flare ups in my shoulder, but active-on joint pain helps. I thought about just asking the doc for another shot, or going to the ER. My knee pain is akin to an abscessed tooth, but luckily slightly better. This is why appreciate all of your ideas so much! I just need some relief!

I was once overweight and found knee braces to be very helpful. I still use similar ones when I run and I feel no pain:

www.braceability.com/obesity-knee-pain-brace?utm_source...

Compression hosiery and knee braces.