Installing a Glass Block Window

How many glass blocks size 8x8 do I need for a 29x30 size window?

By Juanita from Milwaukee, WI

If the measurements that you gave are the exact measurements of the opening in the window, three blocks running either way won't be enough and 4 blocks running either way will be too many. Three 8" blocks would measure a total of 24" and four of the blocks would measure 32" You would need to have a lot of grout or whatever they use between each one of the blocks to make three of them work.

If your opening is 29x30 the most cost effective way to fill with glass block is to use a combination of block sizes to better fit you opening. The alternative is to purchase a pre-made glass block panel.

Good luck,

You truly would be better off to have a professional glass block installer do this and for a little extra charge they will pre-build it with a window vent that has a screen. Most will also give you a warranty. I've tried, and seen others try, to DIY with glass block windows and it was a hassle and in the end it didn't turn out that well and was a waste of time and money. I am a handy person and, in my younger days, could even pour cement, lay drywall, etc. but this was one job that I wish I wouldn't have tried to tackle myself. Sometimes it's just better to save up and have a professional do it. ;-)

I'm thinking that if you can't figure out how many blocks to use, this job is way too technical for you. Get a professional. I'm sorry if I was blunt, but figuring out the number of blocks is going to be the easiest part of this job.

Home Depot in Texas has someone who "prebuilds an already framed/filled window"to make it much easier to install as one large unit, likely taking two people for safety and to share the weight? They sell all of the things to put it together, but I"m handy and I wouldn't tackle it considering the cost of each block. Where's there's grout that hardens and sticks, I'd save a while and have it built. I have no windows in either of two bathrooms, so I hope to save to have a tall narrow window on each bath built to my measurements/ specifications/ choice of blocks.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsOctober 14, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes