Use Styrofoam Peanuts in Bottom of Hanging Baskets

When planting hanging baskets, put Styrofoam peanuts in the bottom instead of stones. The plants do not stand in water and the baskets will not be so heavy.

By soochatty from Middletown, DE

This is a really good idea. The only thing to be sure of is that you don't buy the kind of peanuts that biodegrade in water. (I have ferrets, and I buy the biodegradable kind so that if they should eat any, it just dissolves. They play in them!) I guess there are two kinds of peanuts :).

Using the styrofoam that comes with almost everything in a box is great to be broken in to large chunks and put in the bottom of large planters too. Our local garden centre actually supplies some during April Basket Planting Days, where members go in, the garden centre provides the soil and slow release fertilizer, you provide your containers then pay for your seedlings and plant away.We are in Zone 3 (Alberta, Canada) so the Garden Centre keeps the planters until just before Mother's Day, at which point we get to take them home. I have a number of 16" and 22" planters and this keeps them from being to heavy to lift or move. Works great!! never thought about the peanuts in the hanging baskets though. Great suggestion!

Great idea. I can't lift a lot of weight like I used to,& this will be a big help as I do still love gardening. And thanks to dse77-I didn't know there were 2 different kinds of styrofoam either.

I like the styrofoam peanuts idea for hanging baskets! How can I tell which styrofoam is not biodegradable? Will putting some in water give any indication in, say a week? a month?

Thanks for any help here! :-)

Styrofoam on White Background
Reusing Styrofoam
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJune 2, 2009
Styrofoam Packing Peanuts
Recycling Styrofoam
Wicker Basket
Repairing Wicker Baskets
Hanging Basket
Creating Hanging Baskets
Black styrofoam meat tray against a white background
Uses for Styrofoam Meat Trays