ColoringHair Tips

Keep Bleach (Peroxide) from Burning Your Scalp

Here is a great tip if you bleach your hair and the bleach burns your scalp: ask your beautician to add a pack of "Sweet n Low" to the mixture! It takes the burn out and doesn't affect the color at all! If you want bring your own. I read this from a Hollywood makeup artist, great idea!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

I'd be very interested in learning what is the principle in the chemical reaction between the two products, wondering which ingredient is the actual

one that relieves the burning effects? Since Sweet 'n Low is Dextrose, Sacchrin, Cream of Tartar, and Calcium Silicate? If it's the Cream of Tartar, it would be MUCH cheaper to buy that and add a touch. If it's the Calcium part of the Calcium Silicate, I wonder if one could just add a calcium tablet like Tums and let it dissolve? It is surely NOT the sugar, but I don't know what Sacchrin is without researching, thinking it might be an alcohol, which might alter the Hydrogen Perioxide a little.

I have hairdresser's license and try to keep up with such things, tips, shortcuts, etc. for myself, family, friends. I used to bleach my own hair to platinum for over 9 years, until the hair thinned out prematurely, so I stopped. Now I use Henna exclusively. The thinning may be heriditary, some research indicates, but it stopped thinning for many years once I stopped bleaching.

(Thinning hair seems to me to be more diet and/or RX intake related.) Bleaching comes in and out as the fad persists to a new unsuspecting generation, but has been around for hundreds of years. I wonder if the Sweet 'n Low LIQUID would be a good thing to add to a cheap hand lotion to use around the hairline, ears, face and neck, and on the hands to prevent accidental burns from spills and/or splashes of tiny drops?

Thanks for passing on the suggestion. I'll try to put it in my favorites file for future reference. Hope it really works well, and that it could save someone money as well.

LOL God bless you. :-)