Sunken Eyes from Wearing Glasses

I have worn glasses for years. My eyes are sunk in. What can help?

Tooie from Hartville, MO

I would sincerely have your eyes checked before you and go see your MD afterwards. I do not believe sunk eyes come from wearing eyeglasses for any length of time, or there would be billions of people with sunken eyes, all over the world because of it. Perhaps there is another more serious problem, or genetically you are predisposed to sunken eyes as you mature. Either way, it is best you seek professional help with this problem. Keep us posted. Take Care.

Reduce the amount of time you're wearing your glasses, wear contacts most of the month (if your prescription permits) or get laser treatment. I belive its due to repeated wear and oressure of your glasses on your orbits which is causing the sunkennes. need time now to reverse that.

Hi Tooie: I know what you mean. You probably have deep-set eyes and after wearing glasses for many years, they appear to be "sunk-in". Since having had cataracts removed, I can see well enough to go without glasses, but I look better with them because of the same problem you have. I think you will find that if you go without glasses for a while it will be less noticeable. Also, try using a lighter shade of make-up around the eye area. Hope this helps.

An eye doctor, not a technician, told me that this comes with aging because the brain is shrinking, thus the eyeballs sink. I used to have huge eyes, but now at age 63, I have small eyes and my lids are heavy over the tops of them. There is surgery

that can give upper lid lifting, but I will just try to age gracefully. I have found that the lighter weight the eyeglasses, the stronger the prescription, and the better the design, the less my eyes appear sunken. Resting the eyes by not straining too long in front of the computer/TV/ in the sunshine without sunshades will help over time, and of being more conscious of these things.

Sleeping on one's face and side is NOT good for this eye problem, also, so I try very hard to sleep on my back to minimize the wrinkling around the eyes that can accompany and accentuate the sinking eyes which can be the results of a poor sleeping

positioning. Don't read or live with poor lighting. Uses the brightest bulbs you can, regardless of what anyone tells you. For years I was told that my eyes and vision would improve with the lower wattage, but it did NOT and I was miserable UNTIL I INCREASED THE BULB WATTAGE and can see at LAST, when I can afford more bulbs.Also, several times a week, wash the eyes/lids/lashes with a weak solution of Baby Shampoo(No More Tears) to remove dust that can irritate eyes and cause us to rub them excessively. May God bless and help you. : )