Recycled Seedling Containers

For many planting zones, it is close to time to start your seedlings indoors. Be creative-you don't need the expensive jiffy pots. I like to use the cardboard egg cartons, and cut down used Styrofoam cups. Sometimes I make my own containers out of newspaper. I roll it around a spool of thread, then tuck in the ends as if I am wrapping a gift. Fill with potting soil or seed starter mix. I am sure you can find other items to start them in as well.

Those containers that salads, cakes, and pies come in (with the dark bottoms and clear plastic dome lids) make great "terrariums" to put your seedling containers in. I cut my egg carton cells to fit in them.

On top of the refrigerator is a great place for your seedlings, providing you have a kitchen with good lighting. The refrigerator top provides heat that is important for the seeds to grow, and it is a spot where they are out of the way and won't get smashed. I usually start my plants around Feb 15. By transplant time I have some good sized zucchini, squash, tomatoes, pumpkins, and more ready to transplant over.

I usually get my seeds at the dollar store, 10 packs for a dollar, and the rest of my planting is recycled. A good sized bag of potting soil usually lasts me 3 years.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Recycled plastic containers for seedlings.
Recycled Seedling Container Ideas
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsFebruary 3, 2011
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
🎉
🎄