Identifying Strange Plant In Garden

This morning I saw the strangest plant in my flower bed. At first I thought my daughter had stuck some carrot in the ground for an animal to munch on. Upon further inspection it appears to be some type of plant/growth. It is orange and seems to be hollow. There are three of them in a triangular shape. They look just like a carrot facing up. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks!

Diane from Fond du Lac, WI

It sounds interesting. Is there a photo you could post?

I Googled your description and found this link describing an orange, horn-shaped fungus called Mutinus elegans, or Elegant Stinkhorn. Check it out and see if the pictures match your find:

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJuly 22, 2008
Cucumber and Watermelon Salad
Identifying a Hoodia Gordonii Plant
Lady Bug on a Green Leaf
Identifying Beneficial Garden Insects
An adult labrador dog.
Bumps and Lumps on a Dog