Painting a Metal Door

How do you paint an Exterior Metal Door? On the the Inside and on the outside?

Mary from Homer, AK

I can only give you an example since I am no pro at the rules. My mom has a metal door and it is green on the outside and white on the inside(to go with her house). She is very into interior design so I imagine that is how it is done. I hope that helps you, and saves you some paint;-)

First, sand off any rust and then prime the complete door with a rust inhibiting (oil base) primer.

For a finish paint, I would recommend an oil base finish. However, you can use a latex if you so desire.

If the door is flat with no panels, use a 9" with a 1/8" nap roller and a quality paint brush.

If the door has panels, use a 4" with a 1/8" nap roller and a quality paint brush.

Make sure you buy a high quality roller. A cheap roller will give your door plenty of unwanted fuss.

For exterior - use exterior paint and interior - use interior paint.

Work quickly because the paint will start to get tacky and then you will have problems.

Happy painting!

www.a-federico.com

Hi~~we just used rust proof paint on our steel door both in and out and just used a roller and a paint brush and it has held up thru the weather really well. Hope this helps :0)

Hi, will a paintbrush leave streaks on the door? Is a roller better?

Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsMay 6, 2007
Metal Door
Attaching a Curtain Rod to a Metal Door
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
🎄