Painting a Metal Door

How do you paint an Exterior Metal Door? On the the Inside and on the outside?

Mary from Homer, AK

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I can only give you an example since I am no pro at the rules. My mom has a metal door and it is green on the outside and white on the inside(to go with her house). She is very into interior design so I imagine that is how it is done. I hope that helps you, and saves you some paint;-)

First, sand off any rust and then prime the complete door with a rust inhibiting (oil base) primer.

For a finish paint, I would recommend an oil base finish. However, you can use a latex if you so desire.

If the door is flat with no panels, use a 9" with a 1/8" nap roller and a quality paint brush.

If the door has panels, use a 4" with a 1/8" nap roller and a quality paint brush.

Make sure you buy a high quality roller. A cheap roller will give your door plenty of unwanted fuss.

For exterior - use exterior paint and interior - use interior paint.

Work quickly because the paint will start to get tacky and then you will have problems.

Happy painting!

www.a-federico.com

Hi~~we just used rust proof paint on our steel door both in and out and just used a roller and a paint brush and it has held up thru the weather really well. Hope this helps :0)

Hi, will a paintbrush leave streaks on the door? Is a roller better?

Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsMay 6, 2007
Metal Door
Attaching a Curtain Rod to a Metal Door
Cleaning Metal
Cleaning Metal
Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 4:43:33 PM on 10.0.2.167 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.