Save Worm Dirt for Garden

For those of you that love flowers and have a friend or acquaintance that loves fishing, ask them to save the "dirt" that their bait comes in. This can be added to your potting soil to boost its enrichment. You can put it directly into flower pots to revive that worn out soil, with out going to the expense of new potting soil.

Source: I read an article in our local newspaper about someone that raises worms just for the soil they leave behind. It was sold as "black gold". Having a husband that loves to fish encouraged me to do this on my own.

By Sally from Bedford, IN

Great post Sally. The worm compost is the best. When I teach my Jr. Master Gardener classes to 3rd and 4th graders I have one class on soil science. I have little containers of various types of soil (sand, silt, topsoil, etc.) under magnifiers and I have one "mystery soil". I ask the children to try and guess what it is and they definitely come up with lots of interesting guesses. When I finally say "worm poop" it is pretty comical, particularly since they have been touching the compost. Then I can explain how incredible it is and we talk about ecology also. Have a great day.

A rain barrel hooked up to a down spout.
Frugal Gardening Tips
Home and Garden Gardening FertilizerSeptember 13, 2010
Worm Bin
Making a Worm Bin
Worm Tea
Making and Storing Worm Tea
shovel with dirt
Finding Free Fill Dirt for the Garden
Cleaning Carpet
Removing Dirt Stains from Rugs and Carpet
🎄