Finding Free Fill Dirt for the Garden

Category Soil
The cost of preparing a garden can be reduced in a variety of ways, including finding a source for free fill dirt. This is a guide about finding free fill dirt for the garden.

I have found this works great. Put a square of blanket, any side out in the yard. Secure it how you want, I use cinder blocks, rocks, or bricks. When you pull up weeds, throw them on the blanket and don't shake any of the dirt off of the root clot. When it rains, it will wash the dirt off the weed root clot and put it on the blanket. Before long you will have lots of great dirt for your garden or compost pile. I keep it in an out of the way place.

I also throw seeds on it and it grows things which I then pull up and plant somewhere else like the morning glories. I keep a little dish pan in my yard for a small compost pile and I get dirt to put in it from my blanket and also I have extra dirt to grow things in.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Does anybody know where people can get free dirt to fill your garden?

By Maria from Tulsa, OK

Answers

I see ads often in the free section of Craigslist for fill dirt. Good luck!

I get composted manure from Lowe's for my raised bed garden, not free, good luck.

There are usually signs at construction sites, or possibly on free part craiglist or similar sites. I'd just keep an eye out while driving around.

Our town has good compost and dirt for about $10 a pickup load -- not sure what the real measurement is, but it is good stuff! Call your water plant or waste management company.