Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

How much elastic do you use for a queen size fitted sheet?

By me from Milford, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By plombardo29101/05/2014

I bought an 8 yard stretch of elastic. I have pinned at the moment 4 yards in a queen size fitted sheet for a pillow top mattress. I have it pinned for tonight and will see how it handles being slept on.

By Robert B.09/08/2013

I have done a ton of remedies for the weak elastic. Now I have drawstring sheets and they work great. No elastic to mess with. They go on really easy also since the loose drawstring is not going to fight you. Once they are tight that's it. No hiking up or popping off. They're also are much more comfortable than any sheets I have ever owned since they are flat and smooth all the time like when the bed is just made. It's great. They also self adjust to any mattress naturally since the drawstring can be tightened until the mattress is gripped.

By pujamalhotra99908/27/2013

Hi.. I am a Textile Designer... I know buying fitted sheets is not easy as sometimes it is not available or you may not get the perfect fitted sheets size. So here's a solution for all who wanted to make a fitted sheet or who wants to repair the elastic.

Step 1 - Take your bed sheet and measure it from all corners in inches. Then measure the size of your mattresses because it may vary.

Step 2 - Then write the size of your mattress on a paper like
Length -76" (May vary)
Width -64" (May vary)
Depth -4" (May vary)

Step 3 - Then on the back side of your bed sheet mark with a pen and scale all the inches. Then make a line by joining all those marks and make a square box. Now cut the sides from corners.

Step 4 - Join the corners by stitching them. Now repeat with all 3 corners also. And you will see your bed sheet has become round from corners.

Step 5 - Now take bed sheet from one side and fold it from a corner side a little. Fold your bed sheets corners by leaving a little space to put the elastic inside that.

Step 6 - When you are done with folds. Where from you started and where you gonna end just stop a bit before, you join both ends.

Step 7 - We didn't join the both ends so that we can put the elastic inside that through this vent we have not stitched.

Step 8 - Now take a plastic stick attached with a thread already at its back. Knot the elastic with that thread at the plastic stick and put the elastic in that space we have made.

Step 9 - Take elastic by measuring the all 4 sides now. According to the above measurements you take 10 meters of elastic. After putting the elastic before cutting it and making a tight knot.

Step 10 - Put the fitted sheet by the help of someone over your bed. Make it fit properly. Now tell to hold the elastic from the side you started putting it inside. And start pulling the elastic from another side and at last when you feel that its enough then make a tight knot with both ends. Cut the extra elastic.

# Your fitted sheets is ready and you can also replace your elastic easily with this. And note never wash your fitted sheet in warm water otherwise after every wash you will need to change your elastic.

Thank you

By Calligal11/09/2011

You asked that a year ago! I have been looking for the same thing and had to figure it out on my own. A queen size mattress is 60 in. x 80 in. making it about 7-3/4 yards all around. But of course it would depend on how deep (thick) the mattress is too. So I am planning to use 7 yards of elastic, put the sheet on the bed and adjust from there. I guess that you could also measure another sheet that has the elastic going all around! :~)

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

How to fix bed sheets? I need general instructions on how to fix elastic that is stretched out on the edges of a fitted bed sheet.

Lynn

RE: Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

My mom just did this to my sheets. She sewed an extra piece of material about 1 inch wide around the head and foot part of the sheet. We then ran a long piece of elastic through it, used safety pins to hold it in place until I found the right amount of tension to keep them on. Stitch to hold. (10/27/2004)

By mdjbe

I use the elastic sheet holders. You can buy them at Walmart and I usually pick mine up at any store or yard sale or thrift store that has them for less. You simply attach them to the top and side portion of the sheet across the corner and put the sheet on the bed. I find for my husband who slides into bed that these work to keep even the fitted sheets on the bed. (10/28/2004)

By Sandy

I fixed my son's sheets by taking a strip of elastic and stretching it out as I sewed it along the corners of the sheets. I also made custom crib sheets for my niece and granddaughter's cribs. (11/01/2004)

By Diana

I am reminded about an old trick my mother used to keep the sheets of bunk beds from coming off. I use it to keep my two year old from ripping her fitted sheet off her mattress every single night. Use a real pair of suspenders and attach to the fitted sheet across the bottom of the mattress. Your fitted sheet corners will never come off again, no matter how old the sheet. (11/06/2004)

By Bettymaze

The fastest way is to take 1/4 inch elastic, and sew it right over the old elastic, stretching the elastic as you go. Sometimes you can get elastic at a great price, and if the sheets are excellent quality, you could go all around the edges so that it tucks in all around the sides as well as the top and bottom. I've saved quite a few lovely sets of sheets this way, from friends giving me their old ones when they redecorate.

Laura in NH (09/13/2005)

By DDSS2000

Fitted Top Sheet

My great aunt once bought sheet sets that had the top sheet sewn to the bottom fitted. As you can imagine, this was great. I have since searched for these types of sheets, but have never found them either. Is there anyone on the web site that can help either Peggy or me? Thanks. (10/25/2005)

By Little Buddy

RE: top sheets sewn to fitted bottom sheets - waterbed sheets. Sheet sets for waterbeds usually have the fitted bottom sheets connected to the top sheets. It has become more difficult to find waterbed sheets, even at Wally's World. (10/15/2007)

By guest

I need to replace elastic in some queen sized fitted sheets. Does anyone know how much elastic I will need per sheet? The sheets are perfectly good, but elastic has perished after being in storage for some time. Thank you.

By Nancy from Sydney, Australia

Couldn't you use old bra straps that you might not have discarded. Cut the straps off of them and sew to corners of the bed sheets so it would hold on better on the bed. You can even sew them on with an adjustment still on them to level the size of the corners of the bed. (11/16/2009)

By Pam G.