Fixing or Replacing the Elastic on Fitted Bed Sheets

How much elastic do you use for a queen size fitted sheet?

By me from Milford, PA

Best Answer

Hi.. I am a Textile Designer... I know buying fitted sheets is not easy as sometimes it is not available or you may not get the perfect fitted sheets size. So here's a solution for all who wanted to make a fitted sheet or who wants to repair the elastic.

Step 1 - Take your bed sheet and measure it from all corners in inches. Then measure the size of your mattresses because it may vary.

Step 2 - Then write the size of your mattress on a paper like

Length -76" (May vary)

Width -64" (May vary)

Depth -4" (May vary)

Step 3 - Then on the back side of your bed sheet mark with a pen and scale all the inches. Then make a line by joining all those marks and make a square box. Now cut the sides from corners.

Step 4 - Join the corners by stitching them. Now repeat with all 3 corners also. And you will see your bed sheet has become round from corners.

Step 5 - Now take bed sheet from one side and fold it from a corner side a little. Fold your bed sheets corners by leaving a little space to put the elastic inside that.

Step 6 - When you are done with folds. Where from you started and where you gonna end just stop a bit before, you join both ends.

Step 7 - We didn't join the both ends so that we can put the elastic inside that through this vent we have not stitched.

Step 8 - Now take a plastic stick attached with a thread already at its back. Knot the elastic with that thread at the plastic stick and put the elastic in that space we have made.

Step 9 - Take elastic by measuring the all 4 sides now. According to the above measurements you take 10 meters of elastic. After putting the elastic before cutting it and making a tight knot.

Step 10 - Put the fitted sheet by the help of someone over your bed. Make it fit properly. Now tell to hold the elastic from the side you started putting it inside. And start pulling the elastic from another side and at last when you feel that its enough then make a tight knot with both ends. Cut the extra elastic.

# Your fitted sheets is ready and you can also replace your elastic easily with this. And note never wash your fitted sheet in warm water otherwise after every wash you will need to change your elastic.

Thank you

You asked that a year ago! I have been looking for the same thing and had to figure it out on my own. A queen size mattress is 60 in. x 80 in. making it about 7-3/4 yards all around. But of course it would depend on how deep (thick) the mattress is too. So I am planning to use 7 yards of elastic, put the sheet on the bed and adjust from there. I guess that you could also measure another sheet that has the elastic going all around! :~)

I have done a ton of remedies for the weak elastic. Now I have drawstring sheets and they work great. No elastic to mess with. They go on really easy also since the loose drawstring is not going to fight you. Once they are tight that's it. No hiking up or popping off. They're also are much more comfortable than any sheets I have ever owned since they are flat and smooth all the time like when the bed is just made. It's great. They also self adjust to any mattress naturally since the drawstring can be tightened until the mattress is gripped.

I bought an 8 yard stretch of elastic. I have pinned at the moment 4 yards in a queen size fitted sheet for a pillow top mattress. I have it pinned for tonight and will see how it handles being slept on.

Elastic
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Crafts SewingOctober 22, 2010
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
🎉
🎄