Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

My Dog Has Bad Breath

What can I give my dog for bad breath?

By missy from Navasota, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Steven04/18/2011

I found an interesting thing online that cured my dogs bad breath. I have a German Shepherd, and well he eats healthy. Plaque attack was recommended by my vet due to its ingredients.
http://as-seen-on-tv-promotions.com/pet-care/plaque-attack-182
I only give it to him about once a week now. and my wife really likes the fact that he has better breath. Id give that a shot.

By Connie Eiceman [5]01/28/2011

He should be seen by a vet because he may have infected gums. In the meantime, start brushing his teeth every day. If he doesn't like it at first, put a small amount of doggie toothpaste on the brush and have him lick it and then try to get just a few teeth in front. Each day start with letting him lick it and then try to brush further back on each side, top and bottom, including the gums. Hopefully you can clean the plaque off of his teeth and get his gums healthy. That may clear up the bad breath and make him healthier all at the same time. Good Luck!

By Beth [25]01/28/2011

Dogs that chew on real marrow bones rarely have bad breath because their teeth are so clean. Marrow bones are easier and usually less expensive to find in stores that specialize in meats than you will find int he supermarket.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: My Dog Has Bad Breath - What Do I Do?

I have a lab/shrp mix 8 yr old female dog, and lately her breath stinks bad. Is there something to help that?

Sasha from Allentown, PA

RE: My Dog Has Bad Breath - What Do I Do?

I had a tip for humans with bad breath which was to eat yogurt daily and it reduces the bacteria, so I would assume it might work for our pets as well. (05/16/2005)

By witchdancer4

I don't know about yogurt for a dog. I would ask a vet first. My puppy has bad breath too. I got the pup toothpaste and found it easy, well sort of easy, she loves to chew everything, so I load the toothbrush and let her chew away. Then I finish to get the back teeth. I figure it's better than nothing. But she still has bad breath. I was wondering if maybe it is her stomach or something. She's due for her next well visit soon so I will see what the vet says. But since all the little chew things she has stink I would assume that's why her breath does too. (02/13/2006)

By valery

My dog's breath is just horrible. I use baking soda on him since we don't have regular dog toothpaste. Is that okay? (05/21/2007)

By Sally

A little baking soda and water mixed together as a paste helps to clean your dogs teeth. But don't use very much baking soda, because salt is not good for your fury friends. (07/12/2007)

By mandygirl21

Try a product called LaSenti CF. It's an all natural tablet that you give to your pet. Not only does it totally eliminate breath odor, but coat odor too, and it eliminates the bacteria which causes plaque. Go to www.lasenti.com. It has clinical studies to prove how it works. (08/13/2007)

I just got done brushing my dogs teeth with baking soda, and I can say she didn't like it at all but it helped her out. You'll need the baking soda, It's own toothbrush. A washcloth. Bowl of water and a treat. First of all, have her in the right position, probably your arm around her and say, "stay" and keep saying, "good girl" and "stay". Then dip your toothbrush in water then baking soda. Then get scrubbing (fast too), because they won't like it, after done scrubbing let them get a drink. Take the washcloth and wipe her mouth off. Give her a treat and be sure to say, "good dog". =] P.S. I put some light music on to calm her a little. (11/17/2007)

By gg head.

The information you gave really worked. My dog hated it, but it really helped him a lot. (12/02/2007)

By kiera

I have been using LaSenti on my Fluffy for the last 4 months and cannot believe the results. No bad breath and his gums are looking great with no build up of plaque. This product is wonderful. (01/13/2008)

By Pamela

I have a 6 yr old boxer. His breath used to smell like a dirty fish tank. I took him in for a professional cleaning, and that helped tremendously! Now, I keep his teeth clean at home. I mixed a strong chicken base (1 tsp. base to 1/2 cup water) and baking soda to make a nice doggie toothpaste. It works really well, and he doesn't seem to mind the taste (unlike regular baking soda). Now it's a daily routine, and his vet says his teeth look great! (04/29/2008)

By Nikki

I gave my dog a tablespoon of plain yogurt a day and his breath has greatly improved. (06/07/2008)

By jacqui4321

Careful of the LaSenti, they claim natural and organic, yet they use chlorophyll in it, which is a semi-synthetic substance. Try Proden PlaqueOff Animal. Truly is 100% natural and works wonders. www.plaqueoff.com (09/17/2008)

Archive: My Dog Has Bad Breath

My dog is a 14 year old terrier mix. While I love him dearly, I have a very limited income and cannot afford high vet care. Do you have any low cost suggestions for dealing with his bad breath?

Archive: My Dog Has Bad Breath

I have a Yorkie that is nine years old. Just recently she has developed bad breath. I have started brushing her teeth. It helps somewhat, but it has to been done everyday. I just wanted to know if that is normal?