Zoysia Grass Is Not Good For Gardens

Don't plant Zoysia grass in your yard unless you have no flowers, patios or places you do not want it to go. It is hard to stop once it takes root. It is growing between my bricks in my sidewalk, in my patio everywhere. It is only good for fields where sports are played.

By Gary from NJ

Yeah, ours is growing out into the neighbors yard and I am sure they hate the plush looking grass instead of their weeds! That's another story, but yes it does spread. Try roundup or boiling water to kill it off....if you can! It makes a beautiful yard tho!

imho, zoyzia is more for the South than for this part of the country. It doesnt really green up like Kentucky blue grass does. Also, its more matted and doesnt grow high enough to give that nice grassy wave when the wind blows. But thats only my opinion. I made the mistake of planting some here in Pennsylvania and now my lawn looks like I have an insect infestation. I dont. Its only the spots where the zoysia is planted. lol

I live in Northern Ohio and the house we bought had Zoysia Grass. I have been told it is a warm-climate grass and goes dormant in the cold. No truer words were spoken. The grass turns completely brown from usually Sept - May!! And yes, it will invade your garden, your driveway cracks, etc. Looks good from June - August when the weather is warm.

That's so strange. We moved into a house that has Zoysia and we love it! It has not been a problem for us in regards to sidewalk and flower bed.

I love it!! It is hearty, doesnt require mowing as often (cost us $60 in fuel every time we mow) and is great for high traffic areas.

I get around the brown spots by giving it a watering in spring with mircle grow in the water.

Zoysia Grass
Getting Rid of Zoysia Grass
Home and Garden Gardening LawnMay 8, 2008
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Nice green grass lawn.
Growing Grass in Rocky Soil
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Johnson Grass
Getting Rid of Johnson Grass
🎄