Getting Rid of Zoysia Grass

Category Lawn
This grass can grow where other grasses won't, but it can become evasive and take over other lawns and flower beds. This is a guide about getting rid of zoysia grass.

Don't plant Zoysia grass in your yard unless you have no flowers, patios or places you do not want it to go. It is hard to stop once it takes root. It is growing between my bricks in my sidewalk, in my patio everywhere. It is only good for fields where sports are played.

By Gary from NJ

Since I am unable to kill zoysia grass, I am thinking of blocking zoysia grass from invading into neighbor's lawn. I plan to put plastic sheet (6 ML) over the grass and along the property line, and put mulch or stones over it. Will this work? If so, how wide should this be?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By sun from PA

Answers

Call your local county extension office. They are a fantastic resource and can easily tell you if this will work or if you should put in a barrier to prevent it from spreading. Might also be able to tell you how to get rid of it! Good luck!

Question:

We plant zoysia grass in places where other grass would not grow. Now it has taken over and spread into my flowers and is ruining my flower beds. How can I get rid of it?

Gary from NJ

Answer:

Gary,

Zoysia grass is one tough customer. It is especially invasive in cooler zones and planting it can become a costly and time-consuming mistake. The challenge to getting rid of zoysia grass is the rhizome root system-it runs deep. Killing the top foliage alone will do little to stop zoysia grass from spreading. One of the only chemical-free ways I know of getting rid of zoysia grass is to remove all of the infected turf (including a bit of topsoil) and wait to see if new grass shoots emerge. If none emerge after 2-3 weeks, you are probably in the clear and it is safe to re-seed or re-sod. If new zoysia shoots do emerge, you're going to have to remove even more sod.

You could also try digging in some root barriers to contain your zoysia grass to specific areas. These are going to have to go deep enough to contain the rhizomes-at last 8-12 inches deep.

Ellen

Answers

You might put an ad in the paper or Craigs List,etc and have someone come dig it up for free for the taking. Some people love that stuff. And then put in a root barrier and edging for your flower beds. Good luck. GG Vi