Keep Lock From Freezing With Chewing Gum

This is a great "Winter Tip" my dad told me about years ago. In the winter back here in the North East, I did not have a garage. My car doors were locked at night. When I went to try to get into my car the next morning to head off to work, the lock was frozen. Apparently the moisture goes into the key slot area and freezes.

My dad suggested I take a piece of my gum I was chewing and press it over the key area, which I did. The next morning, I barely bumped the small frozen solid patch of gum off the keyhole area to find my key area was not frozen! Worked like a charm!

Also, laying a small rug, piece of grass carpet over the windshield will keep ice and snow off with a few seconds to remove the cover. Stay warm!

Source: my dad

By Missy MM from OH

I don't know about this person, but one winter some kids went through our whole neighborhood putting gum into people's locks. When we went out in the morning to get into our cars (and locked mailboxes too) we had a real mess! The gum had frozen in the locks! And when we tried to get it out it just broke off. When we tried to melt it, oh what a mess we had then!

We found a product at Wal-Mart that is made just for this problem. I forget the name of it, but it's in the Automotive department. It's a spray that melts the ice and de-ices the lock.

My husband is a long-haul trucker so is in bad winter weather all winter. He keeps several cans of this in his truck and it has never failed him.

Man Putting Chains on His Car in the Snow
Winter Driving
Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingFebruary 10, 2010
young boy blowing huge bubble
Removing Gum From Carpet
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants
🎉
🎄