Window Treatment Ideas

We have a two story split foyer Colonial house. Would it look odd from the street if I have plantation shutters in two windows on the front of my house in the living room, and curtains on two windows in another room that's also located on the front of the house? The upstairs front windows would have curtains as well.

By carla from Greensboro, NC

No, I don't think it would look odd to do as you wish on your windows on your home, so try it. If you don't like it change it. Windows are like we dress now days, everything goes, good luck.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

I have to agree. I think it would look fine to do it differently.

August 22, 2009 Flag

I just purchased a house we are trying to fix up. I have two large windows in my living room one is from floor to ceiling about 6 1/2 feet tall and about 6 feet wide. It is a solid window, not broken up. The other is about 4 feet tall by 6 feet wide with two broken up windows side by side.

Right now there are ugly green vertical blinds on both. It doesn't look right, because one window does not go all the way to the floor. My walls are a light tan and my furniture is chocolate brown. Please help me. What else can I do for these windows?

Sarah from Hamburg, AR

Window Treatment Ideas

Why don't you cover the windows with that thin, plastic window film? I think it's called "Artscape Window Covering". It lets light in, but you can't see through it. It comes in rolls so you can cut it to size and it clings without adhesive so it's easy to remove. It comes in clear, colors, and prints. I've seen one with a small bamboo print and one in a beige rice paper, they sound like they would go well with your colors. It even has a UV filter. You can get it in places like Home Depot and Lowe's.

To make the windows look more even, put a large tree-like plant or some kind of chest/dresser in front of the shorter one. Hope this helps, hope you'll be happy in your new home. (02/28/2008)

By perfume and powder

Window Treatment Ideas

I bought custom wooden roman shades 30 years ago and they still look good. All I have had to do is occasionally resew the rings to the shades and I replaced the cords once. I love keeping them raised during the day to enjoy the beautiful view. (02/28/2008)

By Sandy from AL

Window Treatment Ideas

One nice thing is the fact that you can buy draperies by panels now. You can by 3 or 4 panels and treat the window like they are separate window's instead of one big one. Take 1 or 2 panels and put them in the middle of the window and you can either let them hang straight or you can use the tie back's and tie them both back. This you can accomplish by using those plastic hook's that stick to the window and are clear, or use the white ones that you peel off the back put on the surface and usually leave them set overnight.

You can let the panels on the ends of the window hang or use tie backs on them also. Now if you do not have tie back's with your drapes and want to use them go to your craft shop or fabric shop. Buy some fancy ribbon to go with the drapes or bead's there are so many things out there to make something to tie back your drapes you should have a good time. I am in the process of (for my breakfast nook) buying some cafe curtains. I have beautiful windows that almost go to the floor and buying drapes as you know is not cheap. I found some on sale I wanted lined for the sun coming in the window in the summer, as it is at it's hottest point of the day and also because our winters are no picnic.

Also I would like a little more privacy. So what I am going to do is buy tier's for in the middle of the window (going width wise) that way I will have some privacy, warmth, and protection for my dining set. And I think it will look fantastic. You could do something like that also. But since the nook is in my kitchen the sheers just do not give me the look I want. Do you sew? You could make some really nice valances also. Decorating is fun once you get a idea the rest of the ideas follow. Also there are so many magazines out there to give you ideas check out a few. Whatever you chose to do good luck. dar (02/28/2008)

By dar

Window Treatment Ideas

I had the same problem. I took traverse and ran in across both windows and a corner and hung drapes across the windows and walls in between. Hope this helps. (03/01/2008)

By castleberrycc

February 28, 2008 Flag

I am needing some ideas on what type of window treatment I can use for my bay window besides curtains. I have that up now and I am wanting a new look, and I thought someone out there could give me some good ideas. I was thinking of some type of blinds, but any ideas you all can tell me about will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you may give me.

Teresa from Va.

Window Treatment Ideas

We just bought a house with a bay window in front. The curtains that were left weren't in good shape, so we took them down and 3 custom wooden blinds. Before the curtains covered all of the woodwork in the window frames. The blinds bring it out and it looks very nice. (11/30/2005)

By kansaskrew

Woman hanging a window treatment.
Window Treatment Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsAugust 22, 2009
Window Screen
Alternate Uses for Window and Door Screens
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Window Screen
Removing Paint From a Door or Window Screen
Kitchen Window Treatment
Kitchen Window Treatment Color Advice