Squash Vine Borers

Squash vine borers have destroyed our whole squash crop. We have tried aluminum foil, pantyhose, waiting until after the borer "season" nothing is working. We will try the covered technique next year, however, the pollinators are unable to get to the squash that way. So that will also be hit or miss. Self pollinating is one answer, however, it is labor intensive, and not always accurate.

Do any of you have an answer? I am willing to try anything at this point. Thanks for your help.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By marymary22 from middle GA

Best Answer

If you can find the holes, you can insert a firm piece of wire in there and poke about, which will kill them. Easier is prevention. Dusting your squash plants with Rotenone dust (organic, plant derived) every 7-10 days will keep the critter from getting in in the first place. Good luck.

Best Answer

When I planted my squash this year, I placed 1/2 of a tube from a roll of toilet paper over the plants before they got too large to do so. (It's supposed to cover the stem of the plant, making it impossible for the vine borer to climb the stem.) It worked pretty good, for the first time in several years, I had nary a squash vine borer get my plants. Good luck.

Check out gardens alive website. you may be able to use beneficial nematodes. They eat the larvae of many insects. We got rid of a lot of pests by using them.

Home and Garden Gardening InsectsAugust 31, 2009
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
summer squash
Drying Squash
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 25, 2016 at 11:29:37 PM on in 942 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.