Coke Stain on Velour

I have a juicy couture velour purse that is turquoise and gold. About a year ago I spilled coke on it and didn't do anything about it, just stuck it in a closet. Now, I want to try to get the stain out. What do I do?

Christine from Atlanta, GA

Because you'll most likely get a "watermark" on it. If I were you, I'd first begin by wetting the WHOLE purse: Start by soaking it in a bowl of slightly warm water for an hour (or overnight). Then I'd try my favorite standby: Hydrogen Peroxide (First, always try any new product on an area where you can't see it, just in case it fades the fabric). The peroxide works by "fizzing" out food stains with oxygen & it leaves no residue & requires no rinsing. You can put it in a well marked spray bottle or just pour it straight out of the bottle. (Then just leave it sit for a while to do it's fizzing thing)

* Peroxide works best on "natural, organic" stains. I know the coke is colored with "Carmel coloring" & it has a type of a sugar in it, so the peroxide may just do the trick. It usually won't work to remove stains made by artificial colors like Jell-O, Kool-aid, or Orange pop. It DOES remove Blood, Cocoa, Coffee, Red Wine & Grape Juice but not Grape kool-aid!

---> But if this were me, I'd take it to the Dry Cleaners & ask them about it before I even THOUGHT of trying ANYTHING myself! Because it's all about fiber content because Velour, Velveteen & Velvet can be made out of anything from Rayon, to Silk, to Cotton. Some can be washed with ease & some need to be dry-cleaned. You may end up with a "crushed velor" purse if you try & clean it yourself. But at least, the coke stain will be gone, one way or another!